OpenGL provides ugly Textures

Started by
6 comments, last by PGmeiner 22 years, 7 months ago
Hello, I realized a terrain-visualization with triangles. Above the triangles i bind a texture. I put all the triangles to be drawn in a display list. Now when i''m moving through the terrain the hills which are far away looks ugly and a little bit strange. What can be the reason for that behaviour. Thanks in advance Peter Gmeiner
Peter Gmeiner
Advertisement
"ugly and a little bit strange" is far too ambiguous to be useful in problem solving... however, look into mip-mapping for a possible solution.
He''s right, mip-mapping would likely help you out a lot.

- Mike
"The important thing to remember when programming is: When you're 90% complete, there's still 50% more to go."
OK!

It''s a little bit vague, so please look at a screenshot of the this at: http://members.tripod.de/pgmeiner/Terrain.jpg
The mipmaps i already implemented but the same ugly effects are there.

Peter Gmeiner
Peter Gmeiner
That looks like it could be zbuffer fighting. Try upping the zbuffer''s size. If you have to, use two different project matricies each pass, one for distant objects, one for near objects. Of course, to do that you have to sort the polygons to fit into those two categories.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
yes as null and void saiz its zbuffer fighting increase the depth of the near clipping plane by about 10x
thank you guys for your helpfull advices. It works now correct and looks good.

Peter Gmeiner
Peter Gmeiner
Then, I assume, that you realize that it wasn''t OpenGL''s fault--you''d have to deal with the same issues in any 3D API.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement