"Pitman Krumb", a 7-Day-Roguelike by Rat King

Started by
10 comments, last by mineralwasser 13 years ago
Hallo,

I present you "Pitman Krumb", a Roguelike in 3D.

LogoPitman_coll.jpg

"Pitman Krumb" was made within seven days (3-6-11 to 3-13-11) as an entry for the 7-Day-Roguelike-Challenge 2011. Everybody may participate in this challenge, but in the end a complete game has to be presented. Everybody who did this may call himself a winner. A list of all winners is here; all in all 46 of 99 participants finished a roguelike.

pitman%202011-03-15%2021-30-30-65.jpg

While Jana made the graphics (character models, environment textures, decoration objects, item textures), I coded the game logic in MonoDevelop. "Pitman Krumb" has now 10 enemy types, 3 different settings, 27 decorations (some of them usable, e.g. a health fountain) and 22 different items. And if you like to explore you may experience a small story within the game.

screenshots_7drl_day7_2.jpg

The game was meant to be a little bit like a board game; the gameplay is turnbased and resembles "Hero Quest" (where every figure in the game may walk a certain amount of tiles). In every good roguelike the level is randombased - but we have a system where you lay level sections ("cards"), like e.g. "Carcassonne". And the items in our game are small, flat chips, just like you can see them in many board games.

screenshots_7drl_day7_5.jpg

The game was "finished" after seven days, but is not really bugfree. Thus a week after the challenge I worked on version 1.1, consisting of small bugfixes and a saving functionality (with permadeath still a feature!).

We documented our progress on two different blogs. I used the official blog on 7drl.org under the nickname "ratking" (*), while Jana wrote on our own website.

You can download/play version 1.1 here:
Webplayer: http://www.ratking.d...tman/index.html
Standalone Win: http://www.ratking.d...n/Pitman-Win.7z
Standalone Mac: http://www.ratking.d...n/Pitman-Mac.7z

Regards,
unheilbar

*) Blog entries: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Visit my personal page, and follow the Rat King on Facebook & Twitter!
Advertisement
Nicely done!
Thanks! ;)

Thanks! ;)

Downloading immediately. laugh.gif

This looks very nice, can't wait to try it. The web player link crashed my chrome though.

I wanted to tweet this, but the link to the thread is too long, and the T button at the bottom isn't much help.
Does carrying capacity ever increase? It's very small compared to most RL games, and doesn't quite fill up the space in the upper left corner so I initially assumed that it had room to grow. Combined with how fast weapons and armor decay and how often the character needs food, it's a bit of a problem. :)

(Something that might help would be to move equipped items to a separate space so they don't count against the inventory limit.)

Does carrying capacity ever increase? It's very small compared to most RL games, and doesn't quite fill up the space in the upper left corner so I initially assumed that it had room to grow. Combined with how fast weapons and armor decay and how often the character needs food, it's a bit of a problem. :)

(Something that might help would be to move equipped items to a separate space so they don't count against the inventory limit.)

Agreed. I has a few issues as well.

Inventory seems very small, and I can't seem to ID anything on the ground unless I have room to pick it up?
Also, the health and magic display is too vague, and it's too hard to see down in the corner like that. Especially when full screen in HD.

Otherwise, I really like this, and think it has great potential.
When I read '7-Day-Roguelike' I was expecting some ASCII-style, not quite big but 'yet to be awesome' thing but this is excellent. Tried the web player version - no problems.

I like the graphics style & the way it reveals new locations -> instantly reminded me of some long forgotten, ancient (Amiga?) tomb-exploring game. I laughed while during a rather lenghty fight my character became 'a bit hungry';)

Work on some animations, polish the gameplay and you'll have a chance to make one of those 'repetitive, but so damn addictive' games. Just don't make it any more statsy, focus on the action, exploration, etc.
Woah, thanks to you all for the feedback! ;) Let's see ...

This looks very nice, can't wait to try it. The web player link crashed my chrome though.
I wanted to tweet this, but the link to the thread is too long, and the T button at the bottom isn't much help.

I heard about problems with Chrome, but this seems to be a problem of Unity ... so I don't know what to do here.
Long URLs can be cut down with http://bit.ly, BTW. :)

When you level you can add a point to strength, and this will get you three new inventory slots. The GUI system is a weak point of Unity IMHO, and we only had seven days, so much of the shortcomings of the game's interface comes from this. Sorry!
The good thing is that items get dropped very often, so it is not really needed to carry many things around. (A balancing problem ;))

Inventory seems very small, and I can't seem to ID anything on the ground unless I have room to pick it up?

Yeah, the identifying is a problem. I "optimized" the GUI for 640*480 and hadn't much space for long descriptions. Not that I didn't want to change that, but in that short timeframe I had to move on. :/

Also, the health and magic display is too vague, and it's too hard to see down in the corner like that. Especially when full screen in HD.[/quote]
Health and mana is displayed twice ... once as a bar in the bottom right, and once as absolute values (e.g. "5/10") in the upper right.
But you're right, the GUI isn't optimal on big screens. ;)

Otherwise, I really like this, and think it has great potential.
[/quote]
Thanks!

When I read '7-Day-Roguelike' I was expecting some ASCII-style, not quite big but 'yet to be awesome' thing but this is excellent. Tried the web player version - no problems.

I like the graphics style & the way it reveals new locations -> instantly reminded me of some long forgotten, ancient (Amiga?) tomb-exploring game. I laughed while during a rather lenghty fight my character became 'a bit hungry';)

Work on some animations, polish the gameplay and you'll have a chance to make one of those 'repetitive, but so damn addictive' games. Just don't make it any more statsy, focus on the action, exploration, etc.

Hehe, glad you like it! We thought about polishing the game and creating a commercial version for iOS, and sooner or later we probably will do it. :)
But this would probably take some months (as the codebase isn't really suited for a full game) and right now we're trying to think smaller (in terms of timeframes).

Regards,
mineralwasser

Yeah, the identifying is a problem. I "optimized" the GUI for 640*480 and hadn't much space for long descriptions. Not that I didn't want to change that, but in that short timeframe I had to move on. :/
So right now there is no better way to see what an item is than to drop half my stuff, and picking up the new items?

Also, if I'm hungry, it would be nice to eat a food item right off the ground.

@Daaark: Yes, sorry. But as soon as you accept that you don't need to carry that much items around (and spend some skillpoints on strength) it's not so bad anymore. ;)
The interface, especially the handling of the inventory, is of course something that I would change in a version 2.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement