DirectInput too fast

Started by
12 comments, last by simpler 13 years ago
Isn't Direct Input deprecated now because it doesn't handle high polling rates of modern keyboards and mice?
Advertisement
Reasons.

Yeah but that ain't using window messages.[/quote]
Apologies, I meant discouraged in favour of the standards Windows input APIs.

Isn't Direct Input deprecated now because it doesn't handle high polling rates of modern keyboards and mice? [/quote]
Here is a comprehensive list. It also contains this link containing this quote from Microsoft:

DirectInput is a set of API calls that abstracts input devices on the system. Internally, DirectInput creates a second thread to read WM_INPUT data, and using the DirectInput APIs will add more overhead than simply reading WM_INPUT directly. DirectInput is only useful for reading data from DirectInput joysticks; however, if you only need to support the Xbox 360 controller for Windows, then use XInput instead. Overall, using DirectInput offers no advantages when reading data from mouse or keyboard devices, and the use of DirectInput in these scenarios is discouraged.[/quote]

Yeah but that ain't using window messages.

Apologies, I meant discouraged in favour of the standards Windows input APIs.
[/quote]

Oh I only thought it was favored to use window messages instead of DirectInput. Replacing my DirectInput code with messages would be hard, but now it'll get easy. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement