Planning for the future

Started by
26 comments, last by HuwFulcher 12 years, 9 months ago
I see :) thanks for that. I think I will take Computer Science and if possible get a placement year in the games industry if I can to get some experience under my belt. Thank you all for your comments and advice it's really helped.

EDIT: I'm looking at attending Cardiff Uni for CS because it has excellent recommendations and is only an hour away. They have different types of CS though they have:

[font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]Computer Science (BSc)[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]Computer Science with Visual Computing (BSc)[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]They describe the second option as:[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][color=#333333]You will study how computers can obtain, process, represent and understand visual data, such as images, video and 3D scenes. In addition you will develop in-depth skills in areas such as graphics, image processing and visualization.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][color="#333333"]
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][color="#333333"]Would this be more suited to a games programmer? I think it may be for a Graphics Programmer but not sure.

[/font]
Advertisement
I have a Computer games degree, I got a non-games related job (using opengl, so opengl experience was a great plus). In my opinion, the subjects I did were far more relevant than the equivilent CS subjects (my brother did pure CS). Things like maths(CS also did math for first year)/physics/ai/graphics programming. There was alot of cross over with straight out CS (algorithms, operating systems, networking, etc etc). Initially the univeristy wanted us to do java with the rest of the CS students (first year course was being run) but we managed to get them to teach us c++ instead. I'm really pleased with everything I have learned but, and this is a big but - I hate the stigma that goes with it and trust me you will too.

There are good games courses and mediocre ones, friends of mine did one and although some bits were better, alot of it was far worse and I can see why employers wouldn't want that. Unfortunately they all get tarred with the same brush, so excellent course or terrible course, it doesn't matter - they all look the same on paper (weak).

I also have a maths degree, some of the subjects were:
AI (mainly academic, not the type you'd usually see in a game but there were bits you would - like pathing, fsm etc)
C++/Algorithms

Some of the CS students did part of the game related things like graphics programming
Your dissertation is your chance to shine and you could easily do something game related, even if your coruse is not.

Anyway, my point is, you can get many of the skills you require without having the burden of "Computer games Development" on your shoulders. If you like the idea of games programming then go for CS, take all the games related things you can, graphics/maths etc. Do your dissertation/projects on game topics (think outside the box for this one (a friend of my brother (CS) did fractal terrain generation). This way you get the skills you need but with a better percieved title.

Most importantly of all, do lots of your own projects/games, demonstrate passion, creativity, drive and ability.

edit:
Computer Science with Visual Computing (BSc)
[/quote]
Sounds like a solid choice.

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.

I have a Computer games degree, I got a non-games related job (using opengl, so opengl experience was a great plus). In my opinion, the subjects I did were far more relevant than the equivilent CS subjects (my brother did pure CS). Things like maths(CS also did math for first year)/physics/ai/graphics programming. There was alot of cross over with straight out CS (algorithms, operating systems, networking, etc etc). Initially the univeristy wanted us to do java with the rest of the CS students (first year course was being run) but we managed to get them to teach us c++ instead. I'm really pleased with everything I have learned but, and this is a big but - I hate the stigma that goes with it and trust me you will too.

There are good games courses and mediocre ones, friends of mine did one and although some bits were better, alot of it was far worse and I can see why employers wouldn't want that. Unfortunately they all get tarred with the same brush, so excellent course or terrible course, it doesn't matter - they all look the same on paper (weak).

I also have a maths degree, some of the subjects were:
AI (mainly academic, not the type you'd usually see in a game but there were bits you would - like pathing, fsm etc)
C++/Algorithms

Some of the CS students did part of the game related things like graphics programming
Your dissertation is your chance to shine and you could easily do something game related, even if your coruse is not.

Anyway, my point is, you can get many of the skills you require without having the burden of "Computer games Development" on your shoulders. If you like the idea of games programming then go for CS, take all the games related things you can, graphics/maths etc. Do your dissertation/projects on game topics (think outside the box for this one (a friend of my brother (CS) did fractal terrain generation). This way you get the skills you need but with a better percieved title.

Most importantly of all, do lots of your own projects/games, demonstrate passion, creativity, drive and ability.

edit:
Computer Science with Visual Computing (BSc)

Sounds like a solid choice.
[/quote]

Thank you for that Nanoha :) CS it looks to be then! xD
I have another query, this time it is geared towards what subjects are called. In my school (UK) we have the option of Computing to take at A level (the final grades before heading to Uni), obviously this A level is a definite choice for me. Having a look through the University Computer Science league boards my top option which is ranked 19th is Nottingham which would like an A level in Computer Science. Is Computing and Computer Science the same thing? If it is then this will be a real help to me!

I have another query, this time it is geared towards what subjects are called. In my school (UK) we have the option of Computing to take at A level (the final grades before heading to Uni), obviously this A level is a definite choice for me. Having a look through the University Computer Science league boards my top option which is ranked 19th is Nottingham which would like an A level in Computer Science. Is Computing and Computer Science the same thing? If it is then this will be a real help to me!

I didn't know they did A-Levels in Computer Science! All my Sixth Form did was ICT :-(

Anyway I am 90% sure Computing A-Level is the same as Computer Science A-Level. Best thing to do is ask your school/college or phone Nottingham and ask them. Nottingham is a good Uni - it's recently been refurbished. I am currently in the final year of Computer Science at Aston University (which is ranked quite high and getting better every year) and can definitely reccommend it (not too far from Wales either!).

I agree with eveyone elses comments. A degree in Computer Science will definitely be seen as a "better" degree than the Game Programming ones. I'm currently applying for positions in the Games Industry and almost every position requires a degree in Computer Science. Saying that, don't expect to come out of Uni and instantly get a Games Industry job. Jobs in the UK are really scarce at the moment so you have to do everything you can to secure the job you want. This means you need a portfolio and that's something you can start doing right away! From my experience at this is the path you want to follow:

1. Begin learning to program now. Start with something like Python or C#. Also take a look at Flash, UDK and Unity3D.
  2. Choose your A-Levels. Subjects I reccomend to a future CS student are Computing, Maths and Physcis. If you get to pick one more then look at English, Pyschology, Media Studies, or Art (if your good at it!)
  3. In Year 13 you may be able to take "General Studies". Take it, most Universities will allow you to include the score in your UCAS points tally. It's easy - just general English. Maths, Science and RE stuff.
  4. Continue to learn programming whilst doing your A-Levels and start building up a portfolio of simple projects (your A-Levels should be your main focus though!)
  5. Get at least a B in all your A-Levels!
  6. Go to Uni and study Computer Science.
  7. In the first year of Uni you will have quite a lot of free time. Use this time to work hard on your portfolio!
  8. The 2nd year of Uni counts as about 25% of your final result so work hard! It's for real now!
  9. Try and get a placement for the 3rd year. A Game Industry placement is prefferable but any placement will still give you a massive advantage in getting your first job.
  10. Final Year of Uni. Hopefully by now you'll have a nice portfolio and can concentrate all your efforts on getting a good grade. In final year you have a large "final year project" to complete which counts towards about 25% of your final grade. Most places will allow you to choose whatever you like for this project so use this opportunity and make a game - the Computing Department at your Uni will be able to help you with how big it should be and how to maximise your grade.
  11. If you haven't lost the will to live - get a job in the Games Industry! YAY! Your hardwork paid off!

Hope this extensive (and quite frankly rambling) post helped! :rolleyes:
Game Designer at Playground Games
4. I meant I have emailed both Bungie and Lionhead. I'm not expecting a response back any time soon but I was asking which degree for game programming they look for more. CS or Computer Games Programming.[/quote]

Having worked at Lionhead I can tell you that pretty much all of their programmers had a CS degree and any person doing an internship there was a CS student. They usually respond to e-mails like yours, so you might hear back from them and get some extra encouragement to take a CS degree route.

[quote name='Huwtrosky' timestamp='1301823032' post='4793776']

I didn't know they did A-Levels in Computer Science! All my Sixth Form did was ICT :-(

Anyway I am 90% sure Computing A-Level is the same as Computer Science A-Level. Best thing to do is ask your school/college or phone Nottingham and ask them. Nottingham is a good Uni - it's recently been refurbished. I am currently in the final year of Computer Science at Aston University (which is ranked quite high and getting better every year) and can definitely reccommend it (not too far from Wales either!).

I agree with eveyone elses comments. A degree in Computer Science will definitely be seen as a "better" degree than the Game Programming ones. I'm currently applying for positions in the Games Industry and almost every position requires a degree in Computer Science. Saying that, don't expect to come out of Uni and instantly get a Games Industry job. Jobs in the UK are really scarce at the moment so you have to do everything you can to secure the job you want. This means you need a portfolio and that's something you can start doing right away! From my experience at this is the path you want to follow:

1. Begin learning to program now. Start with something like Python or C#. Also take a look at Flash, UDK and Unity3D.
  2. Choose your A-Levels. Subjects I reccomend to a future CS student are Computing, Maths and Physcis. If you get to pick one more then look at English, Pyschology, Media Studies, or Art (if your good at it!)
  3. In Year 13 you may be able to take "General Studies". Take it, most Universities will allow you to include the score in your UCAS points tally. It's easy - just general English. Maths, Science and RE stuff.
  4. Continue to learn programming whilst doing your A-Levels and start building up a portfolio of simple projects (your A-Levels should be your main focus though!)
  5. Get at least a B in all your A-Levels!
  6. Go to Uni and study Computer Science.
  7. In the first year of Uni you will have quite a lot of free time. Use this time to work hard on your portfolio!
  8. The 2nd year of Uni counts as about 25% of your final result so work hard! It's for real now!
  9. Try and get a placement for the 3rd year. A Game Industry placement is prefferable but any placement will still give you a massive advantage in getting your first job.
  10. Final Year of Uni. Hopefully by now you'll have a nice portfolio and can concentrate all your efforts on getting a good grade. In final year you have a large "final year project" to complete which counts towards about 25% of your final grade. Most places will allow you to choose whatever you like for this project so use this opportunity and make a game - the Computing Department at your Uni will be able to help you with how big it should be and how to maximise your grade.
  11. If you haven't lost the will to live - get a job in the Games Industry! YAY! Your hardwork paid off!

Hope this extensive (and quite frankly rambling) post helped! :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Sorry for bringing up a dead thread but that was some amazing advice! Thanks alot for this :) I've started learning Python and have some beginners knowledge of C# but I'm gonna focus on Python then finish up on C# then learn Java :)

4. I meant I have emailed both Bungie and Lionhead. I'm not expecting a response back any time soon but I was asking which degree for game programming they look for more. CS or Computer Games Programming.

Having worked at Lionhead I can tell you that pretty much all of their programmers had a CS degree and any person doing an internship there was a CS student. They usually respond to e-mails like yours, so you might hear back from them and get some extra encouragement to take a CS degree route.
[/quote]

Sadly I haven't had an email back from Lionhead or Bungie but it doesn't matter :) I'm sure on what I'm going to do now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement