• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Building data for Portal engine...

This topic is 5974 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello I was reading some docs about portal engines, and I am really interesed in code a "simple" portal engine, but my main trouble is how to handle the level data using portal, I mean, dose any algorithm take an array of polygons, and generate automatically the portals for the level, or maybe need I to handle portals by hand? PS1: I am using 3D studio MAX 4 for my level data, and I really appreciate any help with this trouble. PS2: Dose anyone about one game level editor wich use portals? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
A portal is generally going to be represented as a convex polygon. Portals are usually pre-generated and stored in the level file (note: I do NOT mean pre-computed PVS). One technique is to create a BSP tree and use polygonal sections of the splitting planes shared by two nodes as portals. You could also use some sort of hand-placed portal technique, I suppose. Some games'' level editors work by "carving" levels out of a solid block. Portals, in that case, are the intersections of the negative brushes.

Thank you TerranFury for your help, but about the "carving" method, I am using some scripts for MAX 4, to use it like the Qradiant quake editor, I mean, to build two rooms connected by a hall, I create three hollow cubes (rooms, and hall), and then use a cut brush to connect the rooms with the hall, so in this case I suppouse the portal are the intersections of my cut brush?

Thanks!

• Advertisement