TempAu C++ Audio Library

Started by
10 comments, last by beemasterz 12 years, 11 months ago
Hello everybody!

I've just completed creating the first version of my audio library, which is called TempAu.
It's very simple and easy to use, please visit the website to find out more.

As for now, TempAu has very little functionality. That's because I don't want to make
things, which nobody needs. I want to know, what exactly you want about audio library,
what features should be there. Please, tell mesmile.gif

You may post here or on Google Groups, because at the moment TempAu
does not have it's own forum.
Advertisement
Looks interesting. Is OS X supported? (Doesn't look like it, but I thought I'd ask.) If not, any plans for OS X support?

As far as features go, is loading sound files from memory supported? If not, that's probably one of the first things I'd add.

Looks interesting. Is OS X supported? (Doesn't look like it, but I thought I'd ask.) If not, any plans for OS X support?

As far as features go, is loading sound files from memory supported? If not, that's probably one of the first things I'd add.

I plan to support OS X.
Sorry guys but I don't have a mac. I tried to install Mac OS X Snow Leopard on VirtualBox and it failed.
So if somebody can point me how to install OS X on virtual machine and build valid binaries, I'll add support for that operating system.

Loading sounds from memory is not supported.
For now, you can use TempAu::Sound class, which loads all audio data to memory during construction and stores it there.
Thanks for advice, I'll try to add that functionality till the next releasesmile.gif
I think you'd probably need a Mac available in order to develop and test an OS X version, so that may indeed be an obstacle. I think for a lot of folks looking for cross-platform libraries, support for at least Windows, OS X, and Linux will be important. But, any library that abstracts away the details of audio playback is beneficial, IMO, regardless of what platforms it supports.

As for loading sounds from memory, yeah, I'd put that at the top of the list if you intend the library to be useful for games (if only because it's very common to load game data from an archive of some sort).
TempAu is built on top of PortAudio, libmpg123, libsndfile and boost. All of them have support for OS X.
So adding that platform wouldn't be so hard, the only problem is that I don't have a hardware to build the stuff.
But I think I will figure it out soonsmile.gif
I would ask you to define what 'free' means for your library and supply a licence with the downloads.
"You insulted me!" I did not say that in the private message Tom Sloper!

I would ask you to define what 'free' means for your library and supply a licence with the downloads.

'Free' means that you can use the library in your projects (free or commercial, with any kind of license) without paying for it.
At the moment I do not release the source code to the public, so all that licensing stuff does not really matters. Just take the library and use it.

Anyway, I wrote a simple license, and put it to downloads, I think it should be fine.
TempAu is freeware and can be used and distributed freely as long as it is not modified.
Use this software at your own risk. The author is not responsible for any loss or damage resulting from the use of this software.

Thanks, magic_man!smile.gif
See that is not Free :)
"You insulted me!" I did not say that in the private message Tom Sloper!

See that is not Free :)

[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]According to this article everything that is not opensource is not free either.[/font]
[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"] [/font][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]Well, for those people who believes it and reads this thread:[/font]
[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"] [/font][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]TempAu is nonfree (in GNU terms), but you should not pay for itsmile.gif[/font]
I recommend to use the Apache License, since it does not force you to give away the Source Code.
If you say "pls", because it is shorter than "please", I will say "no", because it is shorter than "yes"
http://nightlight2d.de/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement