• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gf11speed

Color Keying With GeForce3?

This topic is 6187 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I recently purchased a GeForce3 video card, and the one of the first things I realized is that my game had dropped to 4 FPS! I narrowed the problem down and have come to a conclusion that the problem is my color keying/transparency. But why is this, since my old Voodoo3 card ran great with the settings the way they are. I am doing using the DirectDraw color key scheme... lpdds->SetColorKey(...), etc.. Does anyone know why, when I took out my old Voodoo3 card (which the game ran great on), and put in a GeForce3, that the game runs like this? Should I be changing my code for colorkeying/transparency, or what? Thanks.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
I don''t know DirectDraw (since I''m on Linux), but there is a fundamental difference between Voodoo based cards and GeForces: Voodoo''s support color keying in hardware, GeForce''s don''t. You can emulate color keying with the GeForce by using alpha planes, don''t know how it works in DD though. I can imagine that DD realizes, that your new 3D card doesn''t support hardware keying, so it reverts to 100% software, and everything gets really slow.

I have no problem using colorkeying with my GeForce3 ???

I have a framerate of 85 (= monitor hz) in 1024x768 32bit.

No problem.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!