what's in a game designer portfolio

Started by
4 comments, last by GesterX 13 years ago
I am a programmer, but I would rather be a game designer, so if i want to make a portfolio to show off my game design talent, what kind of stuff should I make?
and is it strange that a game designer is doing a CS degree?
Advertisement

I am a programmer, but I would rather be a game designer, so if i want to make a portfolio to show off my game design talent, what kind of stuff should I make?

Are you a game designer like you can do research aswell? figure out player interactivity and various other things related to game play if so I want to speak with you... hit me up on skype... username:azteroth

Best Regards,
Chris

[quote name='andyliteral' timestamp='1301810914' post='4793741']

Are you a game designer like you can do research aswell? figure out player interactivity and various other things related to game play if so I want to speak with you... hit me up on skype... username:azteroth

Best Regards,
Chris
[/quote]
yeah, gameplay aspect of the game, but i don't have skype...
Knowing how to program can be very valuable to a game designer. It means that he understands that part of game development, and can from there decide what features can be implemented, which ones should be cut out, and which one needs reworking in order to be feasible. It also helps set realistic goals when you have a better grasp of your limitations (I remember someone who wanted some sort of physics effect on each and every sand corn in an MMO). So no, having a CS degree is not strange, nor would I discourage it.

As for what's in a game designer's portfolio... I don't know the answer to that. But some things you can do:

Write a clear and concise analysis of a game where you delve into the features that makes the game stand out, what elements of the game are fun, and what parts that can be improved. Take everything into account, from art and audio themes to story, characters and genre. You can do this exercise on a game you really like, but also one a game you really dislike or that is generally considered bad. Knowing why certain things don't work and what things makes a potentially good game into a bad one is important: That way you know what to avoid.

You can also come up with interesting gameplay features, and since you know how to program, implement them by programming them. You don't have to program the entire game, just enough to allow you to demonstrate this idea.

Make games! You know how to program, so why not come up with some nice game ideas, design them and then make the game? Due to limitations (you don't have a 100-man team to create the next big AAA game), you will have to be more creative: How can you, within your boundaries, make a game fun? This is a challenge that can be far more rewarding than writing the GDD for your dream game that has a nearly unlimited budget.
Design portfolios are discussed in FAQ 12.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

It is quite rare that you would get an entry-level Game Design position (not impossible just unlikely). It is more likely that you'll enter the industry as a Junior Programmer, Junior Level/Mission Designer, or Tester and then work your way up to a Game Design position. However, you will no doubt still want to show that you have a creative flare. As well as doing all the things listed in Tom Sloper's FAQ #12; take a look at some tools that can be used to quickly prototype and show off your game ideas. I'm talking about things like:
  • Unity3D (which I use and highly reccommend!)
  • GameMaker
  • Flash
These tools will allow you to turn your ideas into reality and show obvious enthusiasm. Like many people will tell you: EVERYONE has great game ideas but turning those ideas into fun and playable demos takes effort, commitment, and shows real passion.
Game Designer at Playground Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement