Expanding a game idea

Started by
3 comments, last by Siddharth Bhat 13 years ago
Hi all!

So, I've been programming since 4 years, and am using SDL ( a rendering engine ) as well as Chipmunk ( a physics engine) since the past year. I've created some small games using the two. I program for a hobby and not for a living ( I'm in 10th grade).

The idea is that of a hotseat game (2 people playing on the same computer). the two players are spherically shaped balls, and can destroy each other by pushing them into environmental hazards such as spikes and fire. The catch is that you can modify your surrounding area's properties to give you various powers .The areas where properties have been changed are called "Mediums". For example, you can create a "feather" medium around you that pushes anyone inside it upward, or a "Cannon" medium that amplifies your speed when you exit it . These "mediums" decay over a specific period of time( not sure how much). Mediums can overlap over one another. So , you can create some cool effects. for Example, by overlapping the "feather" and "Cannon" medium, you can push yourself really high (since the feather medium takes you up, and the cannon medium pushes you more). The aim is to destroy your enemy by pushing them into hazards through skill and smart uses of Mediums.

I got this idea when our Physics teacher was explaining how the properties of Sound varies with different Mediums.

I'm confident I can program this, but I want to expand this idea so it can be cooler :) . I'm not exactly super creative, so I decided to ask you guys on medium ideas as well as some stuff I could add.

Thanks all!

P.S : I'm not an expert programmer, nor a physics expert. So please explain if you've posted something complicated :D
P.P.S : English is not my first language, so I'm sorry if there is any ambiguity or if there are any grammar mistakes.
P.P.P.S : I'm open to all kinds of help, be it tips or help with the actual programming. BUT, It's strictly non- profit, and I'm just programming this to play it with my friends :). If you want to use this idea, go ahead and do.
Advertisement

"Mediums"...medium...medium..."mediums"...Mediums...medium...medium...Mediums...Mediums...medium

P.P.S : English is not my first language, so I'm sorry if there is any ambiguity or if there are any grammar mistakes.

Your English is pretty good! I have only one correction, the plural of "medium" is "media" ;)

This is a very clever idea! I bet you already thought of this, but you should try to implement the effects of the media at the level of the physics engine; eg the feather medium will reduce your mass while preserving velocity allowing the jumping impulse to throw your ball much higher. The cannon medium will apply a strong force in the same direction as your velocity as long as you occupy it.

Other media:

Sticky/Slippery - these change the material properties of the balls (and of course have an appropriate material of their own). I assume that 'movement' is accomplished by applying a torque to the balls so that the friction between the ball and the surface causes it to move. So a sticky surface will allow much more precise movement, and a slippery one will basically make it impossible for the ball to change direction while it's on there; however! note that while a ball is on a slippery surface it can build up angular momentum, so if it slides off onto a sticky surface, it will bolt off in a new direction!

bouncy/damped - you can probably guess ;) on a bouncy surface there is a greater conservation of energy (right?!) on impact whereas on a damping surface there is no conservation of energy.

heavy (to go with feather)

I think it would also be interesting to let players 'nullify' a medium if it's occupied at the end of their turn. So if I end my turn in a heavy medium, I can press a key to make it so my opponent cannot get heavy in the same medium on his turn.

don't forget to have some walls, and moveable crates!
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
Here are a few ideas:

Black Hole - This medium sucks a player in and holds them (unless they use another medium to get out of it). You could trap the other player, or stop yourself from being flung.
White Hole - This medium repels the players.
Momentum Reverser - When you enter it, your momentum is reversed. Pretty self explanatory.
Gravity Reverser - While you're inside of it, the force of gravity is reversed. Or it could be expanded to having all forces reversed.
Bumper - Players bounce off of the outside of this medium.

It sounds like a really interesting idea. I know I would play it.
thanks for the replies guys! I'll surely implement all of these :)
bump :). Hoping for more ideas and inputs :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement