iPad2

Started by
35 comments, last by Daaark 13 years ago

[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1301911981' post='4794133']
What exactly are you going to use it for ?

Good question! I honestly don't know... I like the look and features that it come with. But other than that, I hearing so much hype about it and I don't understand how or why... o_O
[/quote]

This is why I bought my Xoom from Costco. They have a 90 day return policy for any reason. I kept the Xoom for about three weeks, and after the first week it barely got any use. It's a fantastic piece of hardware and if I had a train or bus commute or if I traveled more, I'd get another in a second. As it is now, I'm always near a much more powerful device.

Tim.
Advertisement

[quote name='d000hg' timestamp='1301929828' post='4794231']
[quote name='valderman' timestamp='1301918940' post='4794169']
Cons: it's far worse than a device you either already own or can obtain for a fraction of the price of an iPad for any other task.
Quite a large fraction, like 80% here in the UK. Far worse is also a difficult position to support since it depends what you think is important. For portability, battery life and weight, it beats even netbooks. But since you are talking about "a device you already own" you probably mean a laptop, which totally sucks on those metrics. Comparing a laptop with an iPad is like comparing a laptop with a desktop.
[/quote]That's great, you can carry it around. However, most people likely already own an object that's great for carrying around, be it a cell phone, a teddy bear or a nicely shaped rock of just the right size.[/quote]Now come on, even you know what functionality tablets provide? Maybe you just have a feud with Apple and argue for the sake of it like FF fanbois against any story with IE in the title... personally I don't really have a need for a tablet, but denying they meet any use case because of my personal situation would be superbly and foolishly arrogant. If I went on a lot of public transport, it would be quite perfect for web/video/email.

I have not see any reviews for laptops which will give similar battery life to a tablet with similar use patterns. Closer with the newer CPUs but those are not the machines which are comparable on price. I have a pretty modern standard-level laptop and it won't let me use it all day without plugging in. For the cost of an entry-level (crap) laptop or a netbook I can get something which outperforms them both on certain criteria. The key point is that different people have things they consider most important. Some think the only important thing is the raw CPU/RAM/GPU spec, and paying more to get something weighing under 12lb is 'form over function'. Others need something they can hold in one hand to take notes in the field, raw power is inconsequential.

I see tons of iPads around where I go. I personally think it's more of a status statement, or fashion accessory to most of them. "Look! I got an iPad and you don't!" "iPads are cool, so since I have one, I'm cool also!"
Most of the people seem to have gotten along fine without it, and everything I see them doing with it they were also doing previously, just using other (less expensive) devices or objects.

Pros: You get to look cool, cutting edge, and smart.
Cons: You are out $500, and an additional $500 or more over the course of the year.

Losing money is definiately not cool, and losing money just to look cool is definitely not smart, and you're not cutting edge at all, since the edge of my 4 year old desktop can cut your unneeded iPad in two.

Quick money lesson here: Don't look at an object and ask yourself, "Do I need that?", because you'll convince yourself that you do.
Instead, a year from now, as your going about your daily life, when you encounter a problem that the iPad would solve, ask yourself whether it's worth the investment.

Remember, it doesn't cost you $500. It costs a *minimum* of $500 for the *cheapest version*, which is WiFi only.
  • Want more than 16gb storage? Extra $100 to $200.
  • Want the 3G mobile one? Additional $130, plus the extra data costs on your phone bill ($480 over one year)
  • Ofcourse, now that you have one... you need apps for it right? Ofcourse you do! You want a popular device to look cool, so you need the popular apps that everyone's talking about. Another $200 in spontaneous buys over 1 year.

The sticker price is not the real cost of ownership. You are throwing away $1200 or more on something you absolutely 100% DO NOT NEED.

Is the iPad useful? Definitely. Do you need it? Absolutely not. So should you get one? No.

Instead of buying something that'll cost you $1200 over the next year, why don't you invest the money, to make you $1200 over the next year. Do you need more money? Yes. Having money is cool. Making/saving money? Now that's cutting edge and smart.

[size="4"][color="#0000FF"]Or, to phrase it another way...

[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1301911981' post='4794133']
What exactly are you going to use it for ?

Good question! I honestly don't know... I like the look and features that it come with. But other than that, I hearing so much hype about it and I don't understand how or why... o_O
[/quote]

That is really scary.

Unfortunately it tends to work.

"Hey Doctor! I just saw an ad for (some drug). I don't know what it is or what it does, but I really want it!"
"Mom, I want you to buy this because I saw it on TV!"
"Ohhhhh, something shiny! Must buy it on credit."

Which leads directly to a related thread going on in the Lounge regarding the ethics of extreme consumer debt.
TBH, the mine reason for the iPad is the app store. If you see apps/programs/games/software that you like and want to use, you buy the device that it is targeted at. I used to have a a laptop and iPad and eventually got rid of the laptop to buy a more powerful desktop (a 27 inch iMac :P) because the iPad handled 90% of what use my laptop for. It also doesn't become another PC I have to maintain.

It is also a lot easier to handle in a social setting. For example, if I see a webpage I like, passing the device to a friend is much easier with an iPad then a laptop.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

It is also a lot easier to handle in a social setting. For example, if I see a webpage I like, passing the device to a friend is much easier with an iPad then a laptop.

I've never had an issue handing around my EeePC. And I can play flash games on it.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

I've never had an issue handing around my EeePC. And I can play flash games on it.

Which one do you have? I've been drooling over the EP121, but haven't bought one yet.
I've never had an issue handing around my EeePC.

Its more of the case that the iPad gets handled more like a magazine or book. Let's say I want to hand to some to behind me, I pass it over my head without putting it on standby or whatever, it just gets passed over. With a laptop (granted, netbooks are a bit easier here), it is more clumbersome as you either have to maneuver it with the screen open or have it in a closed state which usually puts it in standby.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

[quote name='Luckless' timestamp='1302011188' post='4794623']I've never had an issue handing around my EeePC.

Its more of the case that the iPad gets handled more like a magazine or book. Let's say I want to hand to some to behind me, I pass it over my head without putting it on standby or whatever, it just gets passed over. With a laptop (granted, netbooks are a bit easier here), it is more clumbersome as you either have to maneuver it with the screen open or have it in a closed state which usually puts it in standby.
[/quote]

not all the eee pcs are laptop or netbooks. Here is the ep121:
PR-ASUS-Eee-Slate-EP121-1.jpg

[quote name='Luckless' timestamp='1302011188' post='4794623']I've never had an issue handing around my EeePC.

[/quote]

Even with my ancient EeePC 900, I've never noticed it was "cumbersome" to pass around, opened or closed. It is super light, easily held by an edge in one hand without feeling like you are going to drop it. The lack of the super glossy surfaces also seems to remove some of the feeling of "Oh crap, this is expensive and I'm going to break it" that I've found in people (including myself) when handling someone else's IPad.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement