GPA or Knowledge?

Started by
13 comments, last by thatguyfromthething 13 years ago

[quote name='GuerillaTactiks' timestamp='1301973791' post='4794471']
I imagine that an employer would view someone with a good portfolio and a bad GPA as the type of person who only does what they want to. Of course this is not someone that I would want working for me. Also, I find it highly unlikely that someone with a high GPA (say 3.7+) would not know a thing about programming. To get the grade, in most cases, you have to be able to do the work. To be able to do the work you must understand the material.

My opinion: Get a good GPA and put together an amazing portfolio. Then it doesn't really matter which the employer looks at.

I do have a guy in my programming class who is majoring in CS, has a GPA(according to him) 3.86 and know almost NOTHING about programming. In fact, all his programming assignments were made by me and im a 3.5 GPA...
[/quote]

Maybe he can program fine and just acts like he can't because he knows you'll pick up the slack for him.
Advertisement

[quote name='GuerillaTactiks' timestamp='1301973791' post='4794471']
I imagine that an employer would view someone with a good portfolio and a bad GPA as the type of person who only does what they want to. Of course this is not someone that I would want working for me. Also, I find it highly unlikely that someone with a high GPA (say 3.7+) would not know a thing about programming. To get the grade, in most cases, you have to be able to do the work. To be able to do the work you must understand the material.

My opinion: Get a good GPA and put together an amazing portfolio. Then it doesn't really matter which the employer looks at.

I do have a guy in my programming class who is majoring in CS, has a GPA(according to him) 3.86 and know almost NOTHING about programming. In fact, all his programming assignments were made by me and im a 3.5 GPA...
[/quote]

Well then you're enabling him and it's entirely your thought. Personally I think that those who enable cheaters should be subject to the same disciplinary actions as the cheater themselves.
I think a good rule of thumb is that a good GPA will help get you noticed, but from that point it falls to how well you know your stuff (and sheesh, some companies will really grill you -- though technical interviews can actually be kind of fun in a strange sort of way)
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.

Then STOP DOING HIS HOMEWORK FOR HIM!

Seriously -- when you help someone through school like that it only serves to do two things -- one: it adds one more competitor to the (probably local) job market that you will have to contend with, and two: it devalues the reputation of your school -- what's en employer to think of you and your 3.5 GPA when a guy from your school with a 3.86 GPA just came in and bombed the interview?

That said -- what is your definition of "about programming" ? as the famous saying goes -- "computer science is as much about computers as astronomy is about telescopes." Computers and telescopes are simply tools -- its the "big thoughts" that are really only of any concern as far as the pursuit of science. It's true that most CS majors will go into applied programming career-wise, but the purpose of a CS degree is to turn out computer scientists, not to turn out programmers.

Its entirely possible that he might have trouble writing code -- me may not be intimately familiar with certain languages, or as well-versed in idioms, patterns or best-practices as you, but he might still well know the science better.

How well do *you* know the science of it all? Just because someone produces more/faster/better code does not necessarily make one a better computer scientist (though there tends to be a strong correlation) -- what makes one a better computer scientist is being able to solve harder problems using a solid scientific foundation.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I find it highly unlikely that someone with a high GPA (say 3.7+) would not know a thing about programming.

You'd think, but experience dictates otherwise.

This is my thread. There are many threads like it, but this one is mine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement