• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

File I/O newbie needs help!

This topic is 5978 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

void LoadFile(char *filename); int main() { LoadFile("test.dat"); return(0); } void LoadFile(char *filename) { FILE *fp; fp = fopen(filename, "rb"); fclose(fp); } This may sounds stupid but... what''s wrong with my fopen? I have the test.dat file in the same directory as the exe file but I keep getting a NULL return by the fopen function. I tried using errno from to check out the error and discovered that "FILE IS NON-EXISTENT or FILENAME IS NULL". geez... any help would be useful.

Advertisement
Are you using Visual C++? If so, check the "Working Directory" for your project. Another thing would to try hard coding the path in the file name.

LoadFile("c:\myapp\test.dat");

-JT

I would guess you don''t have the file in the right directory. Try loading "C:\\test.dat" and copy your file to C:\.

Are you using MSVC++, then set the working directory in your project (Project->Settings->Debug->Working Directory). It default''s not to the Debug or Retail dir, but to your Project dir. e.g. E:\projects\myproject\debug\myproject.exe would have a working dir of E:\projects\myproject\

It would be best to avoid C functions and use I/O stream with C++. There is a great article here on gamedev that shows how to do File I/O in ASCII and binary. Here is the URL:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1127.asp

If you''re male, you can only have one of two things: a conscience or a dick

quote:
Original post by masonium
It would be best to avoid C functions and use I/O stream with C++. There is a great article here on gamedev that shows how to do File I/O in ASCII and binary.

Why would it be best? I use C i/o even in my C++ OO code, and have been for almost seven years without any problems. That wouldn''t help him solve his working directory problem anyway.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

Guest Anonymous Poster
JTAnderson''s right, i think.
if you''re using Visual C++, pls remember an important thing:
VC++ running your codes in Working Directory but not in the directory your .exe''s in.
Your can modify the directory settings in the dialog Project/Settings/Debug
wish you good luck!

• Advertisement