do I learn directX or directx version XX?

Started by
4 comments, last by ryan mccabe 13 years ago
Im starting to run through code and guides for direct x but I need to know where to put my time. Is it worth while to learn from info about dx9 or do i just go with dx10&dx11 . . . or just 11? Im very confused and nervous to spend a week learning code only to find that its depreciated or some such.
Advertisement
I would say go with DX11. DX10 will only run on DX10 (and up) hardware whereas DX11 will run on DX9 (and up) hardware. It should be noted though that both (officially) require Windows Vista or higher so if you want to develop for Windows XP you'll have to stick with DX9. But that's just my 2 cents and I'm by no means and DX expert ;]
Humble people don't refer to themselves as humble (W.R.T. "IMHO".)
Learn whichever version you have the resources to learn.

The topics will remain the same, and the interfaces will only change in relatively minor ways between editions.

For example, the matrix math needed for 3D graphics is no different today than it was 15 years ago. The data structures may support new varieties of content yet the fundamental pipelines are still present.

Requirements for particular buffer formats or pipeline content are a relatively minor concern. Implementation details about programmable hardware are always evolving, but knowledge of older systems is still valuable and applicable.

The API is always changing and growing, they'll probably be on DX13 or DX15 before you are done learning it well enough to release anything. Learn what you can today so you'll be prepared to keep up with tomorrow.

I would say go with DX11. DX10 will only run on DX10 (and up) hardware whereas DX11 will run on DX9 (and up) hardware. It should be noted though that both (officially) require Windows Vista or higher so if you want to develop for Windows XP you'll have to stick with DX9. But that's just my 2 cents and I'm by no means and DX expert ;]

Your information is a bit misleading as what you are saying can be interpreted as DX9 hardware can run all features of DX11, this is not true however. The D3D11 API supports a few feature levels that make it possible to run certain levels of the D3D11 features to run on DX9.0c, DX10/10.1 hardware next to the DX11 feature set which will only run on DX 11 hardware.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

If you choose to go with Dx9, I would recommend that you concentrate on using the vertex shader interface, rather than the fixed function pipeline, as learning the shader approach will make an easier transition to later versions of DirectX where the fixed function pipeline is no longer available.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

Ive found a very easy to follow guide on directx 11 here. Thankfully it looks as though it will get me through the basics without references to earlier versions avoiding anything that is depreciated. Has any looked over this / is it known to be a good reference?

Thanks for the replies so far.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement