free for commercial use programming language?

Started by
9 comments, last by 21st Century Moose 13 years ago
Hello

I have been working alot with game maker pro, however for the last year i have been working on a 250 page long game design document along with my team and we all feel that this time our needs would be better
catered for if we worked on coding our own engine. We would like to learn a programming languge that is free for commercial use.
Any suggestion would be great

Thanks

Dave

P.S i just realized that i posted this in the beginers section and i dont know how to move it sorry :unsure:
Advertisement
AFAIK there is no such thing as a proprietary languages only proprietary compilers.
So any free compiler will do the job, I can personally recommend Visual Studio which supports C++, C#, VB.

Visual Studio which supports C++, C#, VB.

Ok i will have a look at that thanks

Just looked it up Visual Studio seams very expensive do you happen to know of a less pricey option?
The express version is free.

Thanks just started downloading it sounds like just what we need :rolleyes:
however for the last year i have been working on a 250 page long game design document[/quote]

Don't do that.

however for the last year i have been working on a 250 page long game design document

Don't do that.

[/quote]

Why? A good design document is like gold in the dev world, Normally we end up with about a 1/4 of a design and a floating target. Anyone willing to lay out the plan should be commended, not told not to do it.

[quote name='CableGuy' timestamp='1302359142' post='4796347']

Thanks just started downloading it sounds like just what we need :rolleyes:
[/quote]

You also want to have a look at https://github.com/ for sharing the source code in your team.
There are also some free svn hubs, which allow closed source development.
If you say "pls", because it is shorter than "please", I will say "no", because it is shorter than "yes"
http://nightlight2d.de/

Why? A good design document is like gold in the dev world, Normally we end up with about a 1/4 of a design and a floating target. Anyone willing to lay out the plan should be commended, not told not to do it.

A good design document is garbage*, and a quarter of one is probably an eighth more than you should've written. Prototype, don't design.

* Do not try to extend this advice to large budget large team titles. Speaking for indies only.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

[quote name='MeshGearFox' timestamp='1302378685' post='4796456']
however for the last year i have been working on a 250 page long game design document

Don't do that.

[/quote]

[/quote]

1. If you actually need 250 pages to describe your idea, you don't have an idea.

2. If you're trying to just write out every single aspect of your story/level design/whatever, there's no real need to do that.

3. Every second you spend working on your monolithic game design document is a second you're not actually working on your game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement