Artists' portafolio compatible with a full time job?

Started by
5 comments, last by szecs 13 years ago
Hey, guys.

I'm hiring an artist for a full time job in my company. He's an illustrator, graphic designer and freelancer. He's asking me "Can I use the content I create in this company for my portfolio?"

Is it normal to be possible for artist to use game content (such as frames of an animation, textures, etc) in their portafolios when they have a fulltime job in a game dev company? My problem with this is that... should an artist working full time have a portfolio? Isn't that proper of a freelancer?

I think is very individualistic and ego-promoter. Am I wrong? Can anyone advice me, please?

Thanks!
Rod
Advertisement

I'm hiring an artist for a full time job in my company. He's an illustrator, graphic designer and freelancer. He's asking me "Can I use the content I create in this company for my portfolio?"
It's normal for them to ask.

Imagine you're him 3 years from now. Your company hits rough times and lays him off. When looking for a new job, everyone wants to see examples of his work. Problem is, you own the rights to all the work he's done over the past 3 years (i.e. everything recent), except for anything he's done in his spare time (which is a lot smaller than his work time). Being able to demonstrate what your work looks like is pretty useful.

In other words, imagine applying for some top-secret government job, where in any career move afterwards, all interview questions have to be answered with "I'm not allowed to talk about it". It's detrimental to your long-term career to have black holes in your work history.

It's not the end of the world if a boss does answer with "no", though. Many IPs are sensitive enough to warrant a "no", and assuming the product ships in the end, they can always lift screenshots to put on their portfolio anyway.
My problem with this is that... should an artist working full time have a portfolio?
An artist's portfolio goes hand in hand with their resume. While working full time, you probably don't keep your resume up to date, but I'm sure you still have a resume somewhere - you don't burn it when you get a job.
I think is very individualistic and ego-promoter. Am I wrong? Can anyone advice me, please?[/quote]

Completely agree with Hodgman. Every artist needs his own portfolio. Regardles of which position he is in.
...everyone needs some sort of backup.
Agreed. It's like a work history. I'm sure you looked at some sort of portfolio before you hired.

I always make sure I can include the work in my portfolio.

Look at it this way, If he wants to use the work he does for you do represent himself, then it's going to be good work.
Like the others pointed out, it's normal for an artist to ask about using their work for references. Unlike a resume, you can't just say "I worked at Company X for Y years." and get hired in the art field. The fact that he asked first shows some professionalism.

If you're concerned about your intellectual property, you can always put some conditions on it, like waiting until a certain date before he can show it.
Thanks a lot for your answers. I decided to allow him to show content in he's portafolio with the following conditions:

1) He should always indicate the work is our company's property.
2) The work must not show any of the company's development process.
3) The work must not show any spoilers (like final bosses, advanced levels, unlockeable content, etc).

Thanks again!

Look at it this way, If he wants to use the work he does for you do represent himself, then it's going to be good work.

+he seems to be correct too.
+IMHO it's more a sign of his long term plans with your company then the opposite (MAYBE he wouldn't ask this "awkward" question, if he though working at your company is just a small black hole in his work history)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement