Sign in to follow this  
vfreire

Manager, political and tycoon games

I've just started learning how to program in Java with the intention of making open-sourced games. I'm good at having ideas, but still a beginner at making them.

My idea is to create two games, using either Java or Python. One of them is a "Detroit" clone, a game where you have to manage an auto company, beginning in 1908 and make it get through our days. It would use, however, a simpler interface, more akin to football/soccer managers such as FM, CM, Elifoot or Brasfoot, in order to have plenty of options of markets, research advances, competitors...

The other idea, far more complex, is to create an educational township simulator, in order to allow school age kids and teenagers to simulate the political life of the towns and cities they live. It would be a MMORPG where the schools of one given town or city would be network-connected. The kids could interact between each other, receive and read newsletters where their teachers would present real life or imaginary situations and dilemmas, form associations to defend common interests, join parties (my intention is to make them mirror the real life ones and present their programs to the kids) and even run for councilors or mayor in virtual elections.

Anyone have got any tips on how I should start?

Also, I think we could use this topic to concentrate doubts and questions about these categories of games, if you don't mind.