Sign in to follow this  
Johannes1991

Easiest genre game to make?

The easiest game i know how to make is one where you have a box on screen, you move the mouse to the box, your score increases, then just ad nauseum.

Beyond that, i classify an "easy" game to make as having the fallowing attributes: One type of collision, meaning everything is the same basic shape. A minimal set of rules; for example, a game i made, and it worked fairly well, had only two rules: if two things are colliding, they're both dead, and you get a number of points every second you survive. It should have a minimal number of screens, preferably one.

The genre that most easily fits these requirements is an arena shooter, especially if you make it passive so you don't actually shoot anything, but still interact with the world/enemies in some meaningful way.

Domx    159
I second Hodgman - text games focus your attention on game logic and completely take the graphics manipulation burden off your shoulders. Since learning is best done in an iterative, incremental fashion, one step at a time works well. Build a text adventure (not too complex). Then maybe try to add somekind of graphics to it. Then make a simple graphics game etc. etc.

alvaro    21266
My favorite game to start game programming is [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_%28video_game%29"]Snake[/url]. It can even be rendered in text mode. A two-player version using different parts of the keyboard for input is a good learning project, and lots of fun to play.

Alpha_ProgDes    6935
[quote name='Johannes1991' timestamp='1302537095' post='4797160']
I ment like a RTS/ FPS/RPG/MMO game. But it all might depend on how advance the game are or something like that.
[/quote]
MMOs are the hardest. RTS/FPS/RPG are half a step easier than a MMO.

If you've never made a game before.... actually if you've never made a game that was more complex than Super Mario Bros or Sonic, than RTS/FPS/RPG/MMO are equally three Orders of Magnitude more difficult. Period.

Tom KQT    1704
There are IMHO two aspects of this - simple game mechanics and simple presentation (graphics / sounds etc.).

Games with simple graphic are for example logical games like tic-tac-toe, board games, "paper" games, tetries, card games etc. These however can have not so simple game mechanics - you usually need to program some algorithms (even if you don't add AI opponenets) because the game has to obbey some rules. They are usually slow, sometimes it's even not necessary to update graphics regularly and the game can be coded just like a windows application, for example Windows Forms in Visual Basic, with zero DirectX or OpenGL.

Games with simple mechanics are for example various simple arcades.

And then there are games with both simple graphics and mechanics, I think pong should fit here :)

Trapper Zoid    1370
"I am thinking of a number between 1 - 100. Guess the number?"

"Higher!" / "Lower!" / "That's right! Well done!"

(And I think that was the first game I ever programmed. The first dozen or so games I made were all variants from TV Game Shows.)

BekkiBlack    41
Arcade games, like space shooter or Pac man.

Space shooters only require moving backgrounds and the objects remain in tact with the client area of the screen.

Pac man related games are simple because you just move, all in one room, and collect items and the only difficult thing would be collision.

If that's too hard you could also try an even more simpler shooter game, such as one where objects just move left and right randomly and you fire at them and they fire at you.

Much simpler than a more advanced space shooter.

Then again, depends on several other factors as well, such as programming experience/skills...

BekkiBlack    41
[quote name='wqking' timestamp='1302598505' post='4797434']
If you want to exercise,
Tetris, greedy snake, gobang are good start.
[/quote]

Actually, for 6 month students on C++ and other programming languages, a snake/tetris game would be still complex.

The real EASIEST and most FASTEST game one could make would be a ping pong game, which is deemed as a traditional "arcade" kind of game like pac man or simple space shooter types.

The types you mentioned take more of an engine structure and such, which must implement the flow through the game, especially a game like tetris.

That's not something I would call "easy", especially for someone fresh to game developing.

liquorice    100
[quote name='BB1995' timestamp='1302598710' post='4797436']
[quote name='wqking' timestamp='1302598505' post='4797434']
If you want to exercise,
Tetris, greedy snake, gobang are good start.
[/quote]

Actually, for 6 month students on C++ and other programming languages, a snake/tetris game would be still complex.

The real EASIEST and most FASTEST game one could make would be a ping pong game, which is deemed as a traditional "arcade" kind of game like pac man or simple space shooter types.

The types you mentioned take more of an engine structure and such, which must implement the flow through the game, especially a game like tetris.

That's not something I would call "easy", especially for someone fresh to game developing.
[/quote]

You don't need a game engine for tetris or snake. Programming is difficult, but it's definitely possible for someone who has only been learning for a couple of days to make these sort of games.

szecs    2990
Game making is not easy (or at least you'll encounter at least one that's hard to make). If you cannot accept that, don't program.
Snake is hard for a beginner. That doesn't mean it's impossible. A Scorched Earth type game is also hard for a beginner. That was my first game, I started it after 4 months of not to extensive learning.

MeshGearFox    158
I think the hardest part of programming a game is structuring the code in such a manner that it remains healthy and maintainable. Beyond that it's a question of scale, but unless you're obsessed with making the next Codblops or WoW (and for God's sake DON'T try to make these. Not because they're difficult, but because the world doesn't NEED any more of them) then a lot of the same underlying skills apply.

BekkiBlack    41
[quote name='MeshGearFox' timestamp='1302632253' post='4797611']
I think the hardest part of programming a game is structuring the code in such a manner that it remains healthy and maintainable. Beyond that it's a question of scale, but unless you're obsessed with making the next Codblops or WoW (and for God's sake DON'T try to make these. Not because they're difficult, but because the world doesn't NEED any more of them) then a lot of the same underlying skills apply.
[/quote]

True, it's a flow. Some idiots here suggest starting off with snake games...lol. Those don't necessarily require the programmer's universal definition of an "engine" or "game engine", but they are still difficult and require logic that would easily take more than 4 days(four days of learning C++ from the start) to get a full grasp on.

I would be amazed Godly if someone could make a fully functioning and playable snake game in a console window in 4 days like some psycho person said before was possible(sure, possible, but 99% unlikely).

TRUTH BEING, the easiest game you can make is on a console window(or any text-based windows that can run C++ code)and that game would be a guessing game.

The logic behind it is highly easy. Now THAT is a game one can make in around 4-8 days, possibly(talking 4-8 of LEARNING C++ programming for the first time). Definitely more likely than some 350 line code snake game. :P

We are talking beginners here, right(I am a beginner)? :)

MeshGearFox    158
Making a console version of Nibbles would be a pain because you'd have to learn some implementation of curses. Writing it in like SFML or SDL would be a lot easier.

PropheticEdge    150
Hm, an interesting question that I've never really thought of before.

It's very hard to say definitively, because genres are rather loosely defined. Black Ops is a big, big game that took big, big bucks to make and, I'm sure, was very challenging. However, you could make an indie FPS of much smaller scale, with less graphical complexity, and have an easier time of it.

However, I would have to throw in my chips with MMO's being the hardest, simply because ANY genre can become an MMO by adding MMO part to it. MMOFPS? Sure! MMORTS? Why not? MMO Cinematic Platformer? Could probably be done! It's simply taking another genre then slathering on a healthy layer of extremely robust multiplayer and persistence.

As for the easiest...hmmmmmmm....

That's harder to answer. Simple puzzle games, perhaps?