Easiest genre game to make?

Started by
25 comments, last by JonathanO'Brien 13 years ago
I would like to know which genre is easiest to make? Or it's just diffrent from person to person?
For example i think MMO games must be the hardest one to make.
Some pros and cons would be nice.

Thanx in Advance
EnJOJ Gaming
Advertisement
#1 breakout & clones
#2 tetris
#3 2d shooters
#4 platformers
etc
The easiest game i know how to make is one where you have a box on screen, you move the mouse to the box, your score increases, then just ad nauseum.

Beyond that, i classify an "easy" game to make as having the fallowing attributes: One type of collision, meaning everything is the same basic shape. A minimal set of rules; for example, a game i made, and it worked fairly well, had only two rules: if two things are colliding, they're both dead, and you get a number of points every second you survive. It should have a minimal number of screens, preferably one.

The genre that most easily fits these requirements is an arena shooter, especially if you make it passive so you don't actually shoot anything, but still interact with the world/enemies in some meaningful way.
I think an easy (maybe not the easiest) genre for a game to make is a XXXX-Defense game like Tower defense. :)
Cow clicker </snark>
text based puzzle
Anything that doesn't require you to handle game objects (by this I mean things like players, enemies, bullets, items, etc.), really. That's probably one of the hardest parts to get right (without wasting resources) for a beginner.
Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.
I second Hodgman - text games focus your attention on game logic and completely take the graphics manipulation burden off your shoulders. Since learning is best done in an iterative, incremental fashion, one step at a time works well. Build a text adventure (not too complex). Then maybe try to add somekind of graphics to it. Then make a simple graphics game etc. etc.

My favorite game to start game programming is Snake. It can even be rendered in text mode. A two-player version using different parts of the keyboard for input is a good learning project, and lots of fun to play.
I ment like a RTS/ FPS/RPG/MMO game. But it all might depend on how advance the game are or something like that.
EnJOJ Gaming

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement