I made a modable falling sand game with heat simulation.

Started by
4 comments, last by Syerjchep 13 years ago
I've actually made a topic about this before, about three months back, but it got one reply, and just kinda died.
Either way, I made a game, which I'm actually quite proud of.
It looks like this:
helpa.png
The red and orange text I just edited into the screenshot, obviously.
Anyway, it's a falling sand game, but it also has a heat simulator, which seems to work quite well.
It's completely moddable, just edit the elements.txt file and/or the images included.
In fact, the main point is to experiment with creating your own elements.

You use the right and left arrow keys on your keyboard to scroll though elements.
Left click on the sandbox area to place the selected element.
Up and down arrow keys increase and decrease pensize, a faster alternative than the two provided buttons.
Other than that, it's just clicking on the buttons. (except for typing in the names of files to save or load)

To make new elements add a line like this:

element <name> <red color> <green color> <blue color> <weight> <spreads or not 0/1> <matter type 0/1/2 for gas/liquid or powder/solid> <miliseconds before element interactions> <show in element scroller 0/1>

Simple element on element interactions work like this:

interaction <searching element> within <x range> <y range> <what to search for> <what to turn into> <what to turn found element into> <chance (0-100)> <heat to add/remove to first elements position> <heat to add/remove to second elements position>

You can also search if an element is at a specific offset from the searching element like this:

interaction <searching element> offset <x offset> <y offset > <what to search for> <what to turn into> <what to turn found element into> <chance (0-100)> <heat to add/remove to first elements position> <heat to add/remove to second elements position>

You can make certain interactions require that the element be at least as hot as a temptaure:

hotinteraction <searching element> offset/within <just like before> <just like before> <what to search for> <what to turn into> <what to turn found into> <chance (0-100)> <heat to add/remove to 1st pos> <heat to add/remove from 2nd pos> <how hot it must at least be>

You can make certain interactions require that the element be at least as cold as a temptaure:

coldinteraction <searching element> offset/within <just like before> <just like before> <what to search for> <what to turn into> <what to turn found into> <chance (0-100)> <heat to add/remove to 1st pos> <heat to add/remove from 2nd pos> <how cold it must at least be>

You can give certain (standard) interactions a "name" to use with triggers:

namedinteraction <name of interaction> <searching element> offset <x offset> <y offset > <what to search for> <what to turn into> <what to turn found element into> <chance (0-100)> <heat to add/remove to first elements position> <heat to add/remove to second elements position>

And you can make triggers that activate when that interaction happens:

ontrigger <name of interaction to trigger on> <what to make> <offset to make at x> <offset to make at y> <chance (0-100)>

You can get it here:
http://www.gamefront...932/Release.zip

Please, tell me what you think, suggestions welcome.
Advertisement
This thing is really really cool, good work.

I was really impressed at the amount of different elements there were and I found it a lot of fun.
One thing is that it did crash on me every time all of a sudden, once it recovered but just froze for a bit.

Keep up the good work
:-)

"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back."

This thing is really really cool, good work.

I was really impressed at the amount of different elements there were and I found it a lot of fun.
One thing is that it did crash on me every time all of a sudden, once it recovered but just froze for a bit.

Keep up the good work
:-)

Thanks.
Since then I've added coal, coal spawn, insulator wall, and gunpowder, gonna upload a new version soon.
But I haven't included as many elements to the default as I could because I want to encourage modding, because after all, it's designed to let players easily add their own elements.
I'm going to bump this one time to see if that helps.
I mean, one hundred sixty views or something and only one reply all week.
Ok.
First off. Those Icons are terrible >.>

Ok.
First off. Those Icons are terrible >.>

I don't have an artist available.
So I doodled in ms paint.
But you can easily change them, so it's okay, in fact, players are kinda expected to.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement