• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AvCol

OpenGL Is there a Direct3D specification.

This topic is 2689 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The OpenGL specification was one of the best resources for learning the API, and especially in answering some more advanced "best practice" sort of questions and getting a *feel* for the logic of the API.

I'm wondering if there's something like that for Direct3D. My search of MSDN just yielded the usual reference and programming guide plus some white papers, but no formal specification like with OpenGL. If there is no specification whats the closest thing to it?

Advertisement
There actually is a specification, but it isn't meant for public consumption - it is more for hardware vendors to know if they implemented the spec correctly or not. As such, it isn't available for download, and isn't really comparable to the OpenGL spec. Your best option is the whitepapers and presentations that you've already mentioned, and of course the documentation and these forums :)

You could also try the SDK documentation as a kind-of specification. The SDK samples are also quite good for providing a reference for the way certain parts of D3D are meant to be used.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!