Why can't my PC handle 4 ram slots...

Started by
2 comments, last by Telgin 13 years ago
[color="#808080"][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]Hey all,[/font]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]
[/font]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]My pc till recently could run all my 4 ram although it never really liked it,
I got a few bsods so I was forced to remove one.

I do recall at some point I under volted my ram a bit and it worked but
I updated my bios and it doesn't seem to have that option any more,
just "overclock" under MIT :(

http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=2730#ov
I have 2x2GB and 2x1GB 1333 DDR3 OCZ Gold Ram (OCZ3G13331G)

Any ideas?[/font]
Advertisement
Perhaps, by coincidence, one of your RAM sticks is corrupt/broken, and you took out the corrupted one?
STOP THE PLANET!! I WANT TO GET OFF!!
[color="#808080"]

Perhaps, by coincidence, one of your RAM sticks is corrupt/broken, and you took out the corrupted one?

Nah I've tried that and also [font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]I've run tests on all the ram separately, combined and in pairs and i didn't get 1 error...
[/font]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]with memtest and other programs. Also its happens by removing any ram [/font]
I suppose the BIOS flash utility might let you put the old BIOS firmware back on it, if you could find an image. Might let you adjust the voltage again.

It's also possible there's a failure somewhere in the motherboard. I assume you've tried putting 2 or 3 sticks in, making sure you've tested each slot at least once, right? If that passes but it just won't run with all 4 sticks in, then it's a bit more complicated. Adjusting voltages might help, but so might better quality RAM. Do you have another computer with the same type of RAM? Even if all the modules check out, another type might fit.

For what it's worth, I once had an Abit VP6 dual socket motherboard. Ran fine for like 10 years, then suddenly refused to boot whenever I had both processor sockets filled. I could put a single processor in either socket, but if both sockets were ever filled, it wouldn't boot. That generation of boards was apparently notorious for bad capacitors, and sure enough I found some leaky capacitors on the board. It could be a similar situation: faulty passive electronics on the board let it run under less strenuous hardware loads.
Success requires no explanation. Failure allows none.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement