Landscape lighting with Normal map

Started by
16 comments, last by Hodgman 13 years ago
Each texel of Normal Map corresponds to each texel of Height Map, i. e. vertex : normal = 1 : 1 ratio. FS:

uniform sampler2D normalSampler2D;

uniform vec3 lightDirection;

varying vec2 fetcher;

void main()
{
vec3 normal = texture2D(normalSampler2D,fetcher).rbg;

normal = normalize(normal * 2.0 - 1.0);

vec3 lightDir = normalize(lightDirection);

float NdotL = max(dot(normal,-lightDir), 0.0);
vec4 diffuse = vec4(1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0);

gl_FragColor = NdotL * diffuse;
}

Why does it look like a quaddy pattern?

18675200103051703800.png

Bilinear filtering is on for sure.
Advertisement
That star pattern looks like... bilinear filtering.

What do your normals look like when you visualise them with:void main()
{
gl_FragColor = normal*0.5+0.5;
}

Off-topic, but this is a strange approach to terrain shading -- if the normals are supplied per vertex, then they should be output by the vertex shader and interpolated via a 'varying' param (fetching them per-fragment is a lot of extra work comparatively).

That star pattern looks like... bilinear filtering.

What do your normals look like when you visualise them with:void main()
{
gl_FragColor = normal*0.5+0.5;
}

Here you go:
75934346163122532675.png

Off-topic, but this is a strange approach to terrain shading -- if the normals are supplied per vertex, then they should be output by the vertex shader and interpolated via a 'varying' param (fetching them per-fragment is a lot of extra work comparatively).
[/quote]

Wrong it is crap approach for several reasons:
1. This will not be per-pixel lighting, and since I'm using triangles it will interpolate between 3 normals of each triangle - and that will produce diamond pattern artifact, you have probably seen it somewhere (if not I can show you, if you ask) - this artifact is much more noticeable than this quaddy pattern artifact and looks ugly.

2. This is LOD-based terrain, therefore if you don't use per-pixel lighting you will see LOD switching, which looks extremely ugly and crappy. You may ask why - this happens because, when you switch LOD's - quantity of normals per block increases by 4 times (according to geo mipmapping) - because you are using discrete normals per vertex. But when I use per-pixel lighting - lighting stays consistent and constant across the whole terrain regardless my position in the world (i. e. the current LOD configuration) - you don't see this switching of lighting quality because you always use the same number of normals - i. e. all pixels of normal map.
But what's stopping you from using a higher-res normal map? and btw did you rotate the normals using TBN matrix?

But what's stopping you from using a higher-res normal map? and btw did you rotate the normals using TBN matrix?

TBN matrix is not the case right now. And I know that it should work ok with 1 : 1 ratio, higher res NM will eat 4x more memory, why would I do that if it should work now with 1 : 1 ratio? I just don't get why this quaddy pattern appears...
Look carefully these quaddy artifact appears on the normal map itself already:

45390883985532600895.png

Who's failure is this? Is that due to bi-linear interpolation or because of 8-bits per component (i. e. HDR texture is needed)? I can't believe nobody has faced this problem before.
you need more vertices, thats what gouraud interpolation looks like, it sucks yeh, the way you fix it is to move to more polys.
or a higher res normal map.
just sticking a single texel every metre across is going to look shit yes, remember interpolation in linear its not some advanced quadradic thing,
linear interpolation is for crossing small boundaries not large ones like your trying to do.

Bigger normal map, you need to use more memory, theres no other way around it. Maybe try streaming if you cant fit in ram all at once.
And make sure its nicely compressed on disk, if you do that.

You dont just need twice the size either, maybe 16 times the size is what you need. :)
Since these quaddy things appear right across the edges of dual triangles (which form a diamond or quad - consider the screenshot) - I believe that it is not about bi-linear interpolation - I just can't believe it!

03084041237035579854.png

21716376574339626808.png

These are screenshots of the same area. As you can see those quaddy artifact appear right across the 4 edges of dual triangles - there must a reason why that happens.
That's just the nature of bilinear filtering. If you want to improve it you'll need to try a higher order filtering method like Bicubic. Check out this chapter from GPU Gems 2: http://http.develope..._chapter20.html. Or you can fake it pretty well using smoothstep() in the shader: http://www.iquilezle...ure/texture.htm.

I can't believe nobody has faced this problem before.

Everybody suffers from this issue, but it's essentially unnoticeable once you get some colour and detail normal maps on there. Unless you plan on showing an untextured terrain, I wouldn't worry about it. :)

T

That's just the nature of bilinear filtering. If you want to improve it you'll need to try a higher order filtering method like Bicubic. Check out this chapter from GPU Gems 2: http://http.develope..._chapter20.html. Or you can fake it pretty well using smoothstep() in the shader: http://www.iquilezle...ure/texture.htm.

[quote name='Haroogan' timestamp='1302450389' post='4796711']
I can't believe nobody has faced this problem before.

Everybody suffers from this issue, but it's essentially unnoticeable once you get some colour and detail normal maps on there. Unless you plan on showing an untextured terrain, I wouldn't worry about it. :)

T
[/quote]

Yep, I've also thought that when texturing will be applied this artifact will become unnoticeable. However, LOD-based terrain is my bachelor project and the time is running out and I still haven't written a word of documentation (which you know is quite important part of any degree work...), therefore I don't have time to integrate desired texturing into current landscape engine, that's sad but the time is really coming to an end. So all I want now is to make it look smooth without any texturing :)

Thanks for those links, I will try it right now and post some results xD

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement