Sign in to follow this  
leech13

Age of Fear release/promotion

leech13    100
Hello,

We have released a new indie fantasy turn-based strategy.

Age of Fear: The Undead King is a fantasy turn-based strategy primarily focused on single player mode. The game features a novel battle system and two campaigns with solid fantasy stories.
The story takes place in an untamed fantasy land, where three forces: the Human Kingdom, the Greenskins' Horde and the Undead Legion - are fighting for domination and survival.

You will encounter quick skirmishes, where wise unit's cooperation is essential. You will visit distant lands either as a honorable knight or an evil necromancer. You will conquer cities and destroy ancient evil!
Age of Fear: The Undead King is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux systems!

Home page:
http://www.age-of-fear.net

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AgeOfFearTUK

There is also promotion during first two weeks:
* 50% off price in first week (until 17th April)
* 25% off price in second week (until 24th April)

Thank you
Les

MeshGearFox    158
* Your move and attack animations take way too long. They should be pretty near instantaneous. They're not.

* Why can you shoot through units?

* Does terrain actually matter? All of the maps in the video are just huge open areas with stuff off to the side.

* "Therefore, luck plays a role in combat and your superb strategy can be broken by an unlucky strike." This is a terrible idea and the fact that you're not recognizing this outright makes me question everything else about your design.

leech13    100
Hi,

* Your move and attack animations take way too long. They should be pretty near instantaneous. They're not.
There is animation speed slider in options

* Why can you shoot through units?
It less confusing this way.
This is paper-rock-scissors triangle: melee kills archers, archers kill mages, mages kill melee.

* Does terrain actually matter? All of the maps in the video are just huge open areas with stuff off to the side.
The game was designed for quick battles. Terrain and bonuses caused players to turtle instead attacking - we tried that before and it was not working.

* "Therefore, luck plays a role in combat and your superb strategy can be broken by an unlucky strike." This is a terrible idea and the fact that you're not recognizing this outright makes me question everything else about your design.
You have to plan for risk. IMHO, that adds to strategic options. Battle of Wesnoth uses the same approach and it works well.
Again, non-deterministic combat is our design - you might love it or hate it.

Les

TSlappy    121
Looks good, I miss a little of smoothing in moves.
When You click some place to go, the character immediately starts moving with full speed and at destination it stops in moment...
Also bring some behind the scenes info, keep good work ;)

leech13    100
[quote name='TSlappy' timestamp='1302511677' post='4797014']
Looks good, I miss a little of smoothing in moves.
When You click some place to go, the character immediately starts moving with full speed and at destination it stops in moment...[/quote]

Added to my to-do list. Will be in next (or maybe next-next patch)
[quote]Also bring some behind the scenes info, keep good work ;)
[/quote]

It's java + OpenAL native bindings. Graphic does not look the best, but it will work on almost any machine (I tired this on Celeron 800Mhz with integrated card + 512MB - it was slow but still playable) and AI module is probably one of the most advanced today in games (especially considering variety of units and non-deterministic combat).

I also works on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X (Java 1.6 is required)

Ther is interview with some details about AI:
http://psychochild.org/?p=1062

Let me know what do you want to know?
Les

Sign in to follow this