• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rotation of characters around a point

This topic is 5976 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve created a character that, in 3D Studio Max, has the mesh centered on 0,0 with it''s feet on the "ground" (Y=0). So basically, the models center line is at x=0,z=0, extending into all four quadrants around it. When I issue CHR_RotateEntityAbs ( Character->Info.Character, 0, RotY, 0 ); the character goes in a circle. I expected the character to rotate about it''s centerline, in a spinning sort of motion, but it appears the center point is off to the side of the model. What I am trying to accomplish is showing the rotational direction of other players in the game.

Advertisement
The answer to this will depend on what type of character it is.

With keyframed characters make sure the root node is centered. To check this, select the root node, click on the translate button, then use the transform type in tools to reset it to 0.

If you''re using character studio models make the the in-place button is checked before exporting.

It appears that this is working ok for non-animated characters. The solution seems to be that I need "in place" animations; if the character translates in the animation, then the rotation goes about the point of the first animation frame.

• Advertisement