Sign in to follow this  
nfries88

Unity Updated: SDL 1.3 will be more community-oriented

nfries88    1154
SDL1.3 is no zlib licensed! What does this mean for developers using SDL?
1) No need to buy a developer license for iOS.
2) Statically link on any platform you want.

Well, that's pretty much it. It's an awesome change for everybody!

[b]Update 26 Apr[/b]
Sam accepted a job offer to develop some company's upcoming MMO. He'll be working full time, so his prior plans to support SDL full-time are out. He's said he'll try to make it more community-managed, and also that [u]it's basically ready for beta[/u]. Get to testing!
Forum Link: http://forums.libsdl.org/viewtopic.php?t=7189

rip-off    10979
[quote]
Is there actually an iOS version available? [/quote]
Yes. More than that, according to Sam Lantinga (in response to a question on the mailing list "Are there any SDL apps in the App Store"):
[quote]
There are a number of companies that have built iPhone apps using SDL, but they are under confidential commercial licensing, so I can't say anything directly.[/quote]

nfries88    1154
[quote name='Promit Roy' timestamp='1302481526' post='4796881']
That's pretty cool. Is there actually an iOS version available?
[/quote]

There has been for like 2 years, but only in the experimental 1.3 branch (which this license change applies to, not the frequently used 1.2 branch).

NicoG    172
[quote name='TSlappy' timestamp='1302510351' post='4797000']
heh, great.
I must get the 1.3 and start playing with it, what's new in 1.3?
[/quote]

A lot of improvements like a lot better Performance and you can select a Version for the OpenGL Canvas.

nfries88    1154
heh, great.
[/quote]

the hardware-accelerated rendering API. It's completely different than the software framebuffer one in 1.2, so you'll need to disregard all those old tutorials.
support for creating and using multiple windows (it's been reported as being a bit buggy, but fortunately you'll probably never need to use it for a game)
dropped ports for archaic platforms that nobody uses.
ports to new platforms, including Android and iOS.
touch input support
haptic (force feedback/vibration) support.

well, that's about it.

issch    479
heh, great.
[/quote]

Lots of stuff. For example, drawing API now uses OpenGL behind the scenes (and has been expanded to offer more functionality than the old API). Also, there is now support for multiple windows and multiple monitors. The API has also been cleaned up a bit.

[quote name='nfries88' timestamp='1302552771' post='4797246']
There has been for like 2 years, but only in the[b] experimental 1.3 branch[/b] (which this license change applies to, not the frequently used 1.2 branch).
[/quote]

I wouldn't really call it an experimental branch. Sam Lantinga has, in a mailing list announcement, asked people to use 1.3 and pretend that it is finished. Experimental makes it sound like the design isn't set in stone or that the features are prototypes. Yes, its not yet finished, but I don't think experimental is the right term at this stage.

[quote]
[color="#202020"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]However, there is a huge amount of work that remains to be done, in terms of Q/A, bug fixing, and community support.

If you would like to contribute, there are a number of ways you can help:
* If you're currently struggling with SDL 1.3, please report bugs to bugzilla and ask for help on the mailing list
[b]* If you've been holding off on touching SDL 1.3, please pretend it's done, download it, and report bugs to bugzilla
[/b]* If you've reported issues on the mailing list in the past, pretend they're lost and re-report issues to the list and create entries for them in bugzilla [/font][/color]
[color="#202020"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][/quote][/font][/color]

nfries88    1154
[quote name='dublindan' timestamp='1303015948' post='4799377']
[quote name='nfries88' timestamp='1302552771' post='4797246']
There has been for like 2 years, but only in the[b] experimental 1.3 branch[/b] (which this license change applies to, not the frequently used 1.2 branch).
[/quote]

I wouldn't really call it an experimental branch. Sam Lantinga has, in a mailing list announcement, asked people to use 1.3 and pretend that it is finished. Experimental makes it sound like the design isn't set in stone or that the features are prototypes. Yes, its not yet finished, but I don't think experimental is the right term at this stage.

[quote]
[color="#202020"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]However, there is a huge amount of work that remains to be done, in terms of Q/A, bug fixing, and community support.

If you would like to contribute, there are a number of ways you can help:
* If you're currently struggling with SDL 1.3, please report bugs to bugzilla and ask for help on the mailing list
[b]* If you've been holding off on touching SDL 1.3, please pretend it's done, download it, and report bugs to bugzilla
[/b]* If you've reported issues on the mailing list in the past, pretend they're lost and re-report issues to the list and create entries for them in bugzilla [/font][/color]
[color="#202020"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][/quote][/font][/color]
[/quote]

I'm well aware. If you follow the mailing list you probably recognize my username here. I also posted that quote from Sam here awhile ago. Perhaps experimental wasn't the best choice of wording, but it's not the official release yet.

GMuser    211
This is exciting news! One less negative against SDL.

Can someone explain to me what the process is to get a native application on android or iphone, from my understanding you would need to compile an executable for each possible processor type that the platform runs on, hence the use of java on android. Is this the case or is there some nice voodoo going on? What are some common pitfalls to worry about if you wanted to write a native android or iphone application using SDL ?

Thanks

nfries88    1154
[quote name='GMuser' timestamp='1303452709' post='4801502']
Can someone explain to me what the process is to get a native application on android or iphone, from my understanding you would need to compile an executable for each possible processor type that the platform runs on, hence the use of java on android.[/quote]
This is the case, if you want it to be available to every single last Android device. However, 99% of Android devices are on ARM processors, so you should just need one.
SDL on Android interfaces with Android's Java APIs for basic functionality, so it's not completely separate.

[quote]What are some common pitfalls to worry about if you wanted to write a native android or iphone application using SDL ?[/quote]
It is very common for things that work just fine on the simulator (both Android and iOS simulators) to not work or to not work correctly on actual hardware. SDL is probably not regularly tested against actual hardware, but against the simulators. So there may be some bugs in SDL that aren't known yet; and also you yourself will need actual hardware to test on to make sure things actually work as expected (both internally to SDL and in your own code). The actual hardware isn't too cheap, but if you already have it then that's a win.
You also need a Mac to build native applications for iOS. These are generally more expensive than a normal PC.
There's also the fees associated with actually releasing an iOS game ($99/yr), and the 30% of sales you lose from selling a game through the AppStore and Android Market.

Also, fun fact, webOS should be shipping a port of SDL 1.3 with their PDK now. This means you can also port your SDL games to Palm devices.

nfries88    1154
Updated with news from today! If you're planning on making a game using SDL, please use SDL 1.3 rather than sticking to the outdated SDL 1.2 and help with "beta testing"!