Sign in to follow this  
capone888

Cross Platform option comparable to VB.Net?

capone888    122
Hi everyone,

Yes, it is another 'which platform should I use', discussion. However, I have done my homework and viewed the Beginner's FAQ, but I would still rather rely on the forum's experience.

First off, I am a hobbyist. I have experience with VB.NET and enjoy it. I like the fact that I can create desktop applications with easy by simply dropping in different elements (command boxes, text boxes, etc.) and simply dragging them around to resize them and whatnot. What I don't like about VB.NET is that it is not cross-platform. So basically I am looking for something very similar to VB.NET, but the apps I create can be easily used on Windows or MAC.

I looked in to RealBasic, but that was too expesive (I think it was like $299.00 for only 6 months at the standard level). I like free (such as VS.NET Express Ed.) or something that will not cost an arm and a leg for a hobbyist.

So for the project I am working on, it is very basic. I want to create the infamous text-based RPG. I am not looking to sell it, or even distribute it. I am a hobbyist and I just want to create it for rmyself. Of course, if I finish it I would post it to a website and freely distribute it to anyone who would want it.

Now, I don't want a command-line text-based game. It will have a GUI with a text box in the middle for the user to type in commands as well as where the story will unfold. However, there will be static graphics and maps used (no moving parts); as well as health bars, inventory screens with images to show weps, gold, etc. I would also like drop down menus to help the user build the command they are to enter (i.e. 'Put', 'Take', 'Search' / 'Chair', 'Door', 'Key').

I would also like it to have an internal single user database (such as the one used with realbasic), but I can do without this feature; instead opting for flat files (again, this is for personal use so security, performance, or hacks are not a concern).

So any ideas? Does Java sound like a good choice? If so, could someone send me the link for Java's version of Visual Studio.Net Express Edition; or any other link for a similar tool.

Thanks!

Promit    13246
"Cross platform" depends entirely on what platforms you want to target. Mono has a functioning VB.NET compiler, which gives you support for Win/Mac/Linux/BSD. MonoTouch and MonoDroid will yield support for iOS and Android devices, respectively. C# is the only one that adds support for XNA platforms (Xbox 360, Windows Phone 7). Java would give you support for Win/Mac/Linux/BSD as well as Android phones. Python supports all of that, plus iOS devices and more.

[quote]I would also like it to have an internal single user database (such as the one used with realbasic), but I can do without this feature; instead opting for flat files (again, this is for personal use so security, performance, or hacks are not a concern).[/quote][url=http://www.sqlite.org"]SQLite[/url]

Oh, and Visual Studio does not support Java. There are many choices for Java; I'm fond of Eclipse but there are many more.

realsoftware    100
Hi, I noticed your post. True, Real Studio Professional (which allows for cross-platform development: Mac OS X, Windows & Linux) is $299. This gives you a Pro key with access to updates and new released for 6 months though you can continue to use your license key indefinitely after it expires or you can renew for $149/year. You are never required to renew you license key and you can do so anytime before of after it's expiration.

If you are already familiar with VB, Real Studio would be a very easy transition. Also, we offer a free VB Migration Assistant that helps you move your code from VB (5, 6 or .NET) into our language, Realbasic. Real Studio will allow you to leverage the coding knowledge you already have to create cross-platform apps, quickly and easily. Please let me know if I can answer any questions you may have.

capone888    122
Thanks for the quick replies. I chose my words poorly when I said cross-platform. When I started off there were not so many platforms :-) I just basically meant Windows and MAC.

Mono is a tool I was not aware of (again, just a newb hobbyist here). Also, thank you for clearing up the pricing issue with RealBasic. The way you describe it is much more reasonable for someone like me. I think I know which way I will go now, but please feel free to add any more suggestions someone may have. Thanks all.