Sign in to follow this  
CampbellRoelofsz

new to making games

What you need more than tips is to actually learn to program, and to a lesser extent to do something like read a forum FAQ. You seem like you've settled on working in C#. That's great. Now go through some C# tutorials online, or even better, get a beginning C# programming book, or better still, take a course.

You're not really new to game programming-- not yet. You're new to programming. You'll be doing a lot of dull stuff like making a calculator that runs in a console or making currency converters, as well as demo programs that demonstrate basic programming/C# features before you're ready to tackle making a game.

So start by choosing a route to learning to program in C#. A book might be the best for you, and there are plenty listed here at Gamedev. Then work through it, [i]actually programming the exercises[/i]. That's where to start, and that'll be enough to keep you busy for a while.

[b]Just as Khaiy suggests, go and read alot of tutorials online if you dont wanna take a course.[/b]
[i]- Me personally got my "lessons" from just reading other peoples code, though this was almost 9 years ago and it was PHP i still got a hang of the basics.[/i]

And once you get hold of the basics in programming you can start picking a more specific path, in this case Game Programming. The road may seem long now, but once you get hold of the basics and you know how to solve most of the tutorials / tasks that you are given without checking google you know you are ready.

And once you are ready i would recommend C# with XNA if you are using a Windows Machine, mostly due to the community - There are tons of tutorials and more are being made.