• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Cygon

[.net] Getting VK_LSHIFT & VK_RSHIFT from WM_KEYDOWN

This topic is 2595 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm using an IMessageFilter in my .NET-based game to capture certain window messages (mostly WM_INPUT, WM_CHAR and WM_KEYUP/DOWN). Pretty simple stuff:

internal class WindowMessageFilter : IMessageFilter, IDisposable {
public WindowMessageFilter(IntPtr windowHandle) {
Application.AddMessageFilter(this);
}

bool IMessageFilter.PreFilterMessage(ref Message message) {
switch (message.Msg) {
case (int)UnsafeNativeMethods.WindowMessages.WM_KEYDOWN: {
int virtualKeyCode = message.WParam.ToInt32();
return true; // consumed!
}
}
return false;
}
}

According to MSDN, the VK_ code is provided in the wParam of a WM_KEYDOWN message. So far so good, but no matter whether I press the left or the right Shift key, the WM_KEYDOWN I receive reports only VK_SHIFT in its wParam, whereas I would prefer to get separate messages for VK_LSHIFT and VK_RSHIFT.

I've seen that bit 24 in lParam specifies whether it's the left or right shift key, so I could translate VK_SHIFT and VK_CONTROL to the left/right-distinguishing equivalents manually, but is that the only way to arrive at the VK_LSHIFT/VK_RSHIFT messages? Or is there some flag or mode I can set to tell Windows to provide me with the latter?

Advertisement
According to MSDN the VK_LSHIFT and VK_RSHIFT are only available with some functions :

These left- and right-distinguishing constants are available to an application only through the GetKeyboardState, SetKeyboardState, GetAsyncKeyState, GetKeyState, and MapVirtualKey functions.[/quote]

You could try to add a check to GetKeyState(VK_LSHIFT) to distinguish between the two.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!