Thumbs up, bro!

Started by
91 comments, last by swiftcoder 12 years, 12 months ago

Which, I completely agree, ruins the value of the whole thing.
I do think that they should hide the first -1 rating (makes the site seem friendlier), but two -2 ratings should then show up as -2, not -1.
And positive +1,+2, etc... there's no reason whatsoever to hide that!

Maybe, but the problem with that is it relies on X number of people with enough knowedge to see a bad post and down rate it before it becomes visable which adds to the chance of someone who DOESNT know better following the advise.

Clamping negative rep, sure I can see that as the number follows you around, but the ability to mark a post as 'bad' in a technical form is, imo, very important...
Advertisement

[quote name='Servant of the Lord' timestamp='1302977307' post='4799195']
Which, I completely agree, ruins the value of the whole thing.
I do think that they should hide the first -1 rating (makes the site seem friendlier), but two -2 ratings should then show up as -2, not -1.
And positive +1,+2, etc... there's no reason whatsoever to hide that!

Maybe, but the problem with that is it relies on X number of people with enough knowedge to see a bad post and down rate it before it becomes visable which adds to the chance of someone who DOESNT know better following the advise.

Clamping negative rep, sure I can see that as the number follows you around, but the ability to mark a post as 'bad' in a technical form is, imo, very important...
[/quote]

I thought this per post rating system was meant to cut down on '+1' 'posts, I did not know about this change was it mentioned to the community? I now know the reason for why I had to effectively make a '+1' post after the vote was a complete and utter waste of time.
Is 'Posts' in profiles broken as well? I had to go searching for the thread instead.

Maybe this whole charade will be profitable for the staff as they can now release a book of 'How not to do a website _upgrade_'
"You insulted me!" I did not say that in the private message Tom Sloper!

It wasn't removed - just ruined.
They made it so the rep of a post only shows positive or negative if it's at or above 3.

It doesn't work like that. I'm currently looking at post in another thread that is at +7 and still shows up as 0.
If you ask me, the new site seemed to work better the first day than now.

Now:

- Find My Content doesn't work.
- Per post reputation doesn't show up (and allows down rating*).
- Fron't page is uglier.

* Downratings allows haters to seek for all your post and rate them down in retaliation for something you said they didn't like. You'll never know because YOU CAN'T SEE THE RATINGS! This is unbalanced in respect to up-ratings because no sane person would go and rate all your post up for something you said they liked.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

If you ask me, the new site seemed to work better the first day than now.

Now:

- Find My Content doesn't work.
- Per post reputation doesn't show up (and allows down rating*).
- Fron't page is uglier.

* Downratings allows haters to seek for all your post and rate them down in retaliation for something you said they didn't like. You'll never know because YOU CAN'T SEE THE RATINGS! This is unbalanced in respect to up-ratings because no sane person would go and rate all your post up for something you said they liked.

The reputation count has been restored.. tracked it down to a hook we had installed.

Still useless. Actually, this is worse than useless. Even the old system of posting on GDNet: CSI and being ignored is better than an automated message from a system that looks like issues are never updated and are never, ever closed. Even if you aren't using it like a bug tracker, the tracker still looks like a bug tracker and not using it sends the message that you aren't doing anything with bugs.

Since the bug tracker is not being actively used to reply to issues, permissions have been restricted to staff and moderators. The CSI forum has been reopened. The feedback tab is still the mechanism people can continue to submit reports through. Individual support requests can be done through the Client Area.

- Michael Tanczos
Find my content is fixed and Phantom's rep has been restored.

[quote name='Servant of the Lord' timestamp='1302977307' post='4799195']
It wasn't removed - just ruined.
They made it so the rep of a post only shows positive or negative if it's at or above 3.

It doesn't work like that. I'm currently looking at post in another thread that is at +7 and still shows up as 0.
[/quote]
Ah, never mind then. My information was from something a staff said in the issue tracker about how he *thought* it worked; however, I haven't been able to get back in the issue tracker to find out the exact post (as Michael said above, permissions restricted).

Find my content is fixed
:):D

[quote name='Michael Tanczos' timestamp='1303011096' post='4799358']
Find my content is fixed
:):D
[/quote]

This is how it always is.

Userbase: We've found this bug, and it's a real easy fix. You're method seems correct, but it seems like only 1 line of code would fix it.

Dev: It's not that easy! It's never that easy! blah blah blah it'll be awhile. I'll evaluate it for the next release cycle.

Userbase: But..

Dev: Not buts.. stupid users. I SAID I'LL EVALUATE THAT FIX FOR THE NEXT RELEASE CYCLE. UNTIL THEN LUMP IT. IF YOUR DATA IS CORRUPTING ON SAVE, JUST DON'T SAVE YOUR DATA! HEY- WE'LL MARK THIS ISSUE AS CLOSED, SINCE NOT SAVING YOUR DATA IS A VALID WORKAROUND!

Userbase: Let's burn this place to the ground!

Dev: *changes one line of code, hits F5, and posts fixed binary*

If only the GIMP userbase would do the same. :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement