Sign in to follow this  
L. Spiro

Matrix Packing

L. Spiro    25638
How are matrices packed in HLSL? Especially DirectX3D 10.
These do not explain:
[url="http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb509623(v=VS.85).aspx"]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb509623(v=VS.85).aspx[/url]
[url="http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb509632(v=VS.85).aspx"]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb509632(v=VS.85).aspx[/url]

Specifically I need to know if a 3×3 matrix is internally stored as a 4×4 matrix or if it is an array of 9 floats.
Similarly with 2×2 matrices.

Thank you,
Yogurt Emperor

Hodgman    51328
As far as I know, a 3x3 matrix is packed following the same rules as 3 consecutive float3 variables. The packing rules then state [quote]Additionally, HLSL packs data so that it does not cross a 16-byte boundary. Variables are packed into a given four-component vector until the variable will straddle a 4-vector boundary; the next variables will be bounced to the next four-component vector.[/quote]For a 3x3 matrix:[code]float3 one;
float3 two;//start a new 16-byte element
float3 three;//start a new 16-byte element
//or
float oneX, oneY, oneZ, pad1;
float twoX, twoY, twoZ, pad2;
float threeX, threeY, threeZ, pad3;[/code]For a 2x2 matrix:[code]float2 one;
float2 two;
//or
float oneX, oneY, twoX, twoY;[/code][hr][EDIT] [b]Please note I'm just guessing[/b].
On second thought, it would make sense for matrices to be dealt with under the rules for array packing [quote]Arrays are not packed in HLSL by default. To avoid forcing the shader to take on ALU overhead for offset computations, every element in an array is stored in a four-component vector[/quote]For a 3x3 matrix it's the same as above, but for a 2x2 matrix:[code]float2 one;
float2 two;//start a new 16-byte element
//or
float oneX, oneY, pad1, pad2;
float twoX, twoY, pad3, pad4;[/code]

L. Spiro    25638
[quote name='Hodgman' timestamp='1302670129' post='4797780']
As far as I know, a 3x3 matrix is packed following the same rules as 3 consecutive float3 variables. The packing rules then state [quote]Additionally, HLSL packs data so that it does not cross a 16-byte boundary. Variables are packed into a given four-component vector until the variable will straddle a 4-vector boundary; the next variables will be bounced to the next four-component vector.[/quote]For a 3x3 matrix:[code]float3 one;
float3 two;//start a new 16-byte element
float3 three;//start a new 16-byte element
//or
float oneX, oneY, oneZ, pad1;
float twoX, twoY, twoZ, pad2;
float threeX, threeY, threeZ, pad3;[/code]For a 2x2 matrix:[code]float2 one;
float2 two;
//or
float oneX, oneY, twoX, twoY;[/code][hr][EDIT] [b]Please note I'm just guessing[/b].
On second thought, it would make sense for matrices to be dealt with under the rules for array packing [quote]Arrays are not packed in HLSL by default. To avoid forcing the shader to take on ALU overhead for offset computations, every element in an array is stored in a four-component vector[/quote]For a 3x3 matrix it's the same as above, but for a 2x2 matrix:[code]float2 one;
float2 two;//start a new 16-byte element
//or
float oneX, oneY, pad1, pad2;
float twoX, twoY, pad3, pad4;[/code]
[/quote]

Any way to verify which way they go?
I am only guessing that 3×3 is 3 rows of 4 vectors.
But 2×2 could be either way. If they do 2 rows of 4 vectors, there is so much wasted space.
And apparently there is no overhead by just doing [float2 float2]. But there is just as much logic for it to be [float2 | float2] as well.

In Direct3D 10, if I am using constant buffers (avoiding use of the Effects Framework), I have to match my data to the data in the shaders exactly, right?

Yogurt Emperor