Hey, help?

Started by
9 comments, last by BekkiBlack 13 years ago
Post exact codes of a full working side-scroller, much like Mario Bros. or Sonic.

Thanks!
Advertisement

Post exact codes of a full working side-scroller, much like Mario Bros. or Sonic.

Thanks!

It's posts like this that are getting you in trouble on these boards. You keep saying you want "specific answers to specific questions" but keep asking very general questions that lead to people pointing you to tutorials that cover many related pieces of information that will answer your general train of thought. If you are having trouble with something, you should be trying to make much more specific questions instead of going off the deep end with ridiculous ones like this. There are plenty of games that have released full source code, Quake II even has the code linked in the extra links section of the wiki page, and other sources are available right off the iD software site. But reading source code isn't going to get you anywhere without a good understanding of why the code was written the way it was. It's why most people suggest against it. You're better off finding some tutorials to set you in the right direction before attempting to muddle your way through some source.

[quote name='BB1995' timestamp='1302679591' post='4797812']

Thanks!

It's posts like this that are getting you in trouble on these boards. You keep saying you want "specific answers to specific questions" but keep asking very general questions that lead to people pointing you to tutorials that cover many related pieces of information that will answer your general train of thought. If you are having trouble with something, you should be trying to make much more specific questions instead of going off the deep end with ridiculous ones like this. There are plenty of games that have released full source code, Quake II even has the code linked in the extra links section of the wiki page, and other sources are available right off the iD software site. But reading source code isn't going to get you anywhere without a good understanding of why the code was written the way it was. Its why most people suggest against it. You're better off finding some tutorials to set you in the right direction before attempting to muddle your way through some source.
[/quote]

Nah, at least 80% of the tutorials out there are not clear enough for me...I fail to understand nearly all of them, even reading them 100s of times over weeks.

They basically suck, all in all....That's why I came here for. :P

Also, my question was specific....I specifically asked for someone to post me a link to the source code or a downloadable file of the source code. That is a fair question.

Btw that Quake 2 source code for the engine you recommended was very gay. I couldn't even open any of the files it came with because they're all "unknown" to my system...So thanks for nothing, shithead.
Google results for open source side scroller :
Secret Maryo Chronicles
xevil
teeworlds
Scrolling gamedev kit
Vacuum Magic

Google results for open source side scroller :
Secret Maryo Chronicles
xevil
teeworlds
Scrolling gamedev kit
Vacuum Magic

No I'm not sucking Google's dick...

I want a PERSON to teach me the basic fundamentals of side-scroller game AI, logic, engine, etc.

I specifically asked for someone to post me a link to the source code or a downloadable file of the source code, shithead.

[quote name='BB1995' timestamp='1302680312' post='4797819']
I specifically asked for someone to post me a link to the source code or a downloadable file of the source code, shithead.

[/quote]

So, what's your point?

Why are you just quoting what I'm saying?

Weirdo...

Btw that Quake 2 source code for the engine you recommended was very gay. I couldn't even open any of the files it came with because they're all "unknown" to my system...So thanks for nothing, shithead.

A zip file filled with some .txt, .c, .h, .s (assembly) source files, and a visual studio project file and linux makefile. All of those unknown? smells fishy to me.

I want a PERSON to teach me the basic fundamentals of side-scroller game AI, logic, engine, etc.
[/quote]
That's not the same thing as "link me some source code".

So, what's your point?
Why are you just quoting what I'm saying?
[/quote]
Hodgman graciously posted a google link, and hand filtered the results to a few specific side scroller sources for you. How did those links not relate to what you were asking for?
Dude I know what I got...I downloaded the files and NONE of them had .cpp files or .h files, NONE!

All they had were .txt files, some odd .trr files and even some even weirder .dde files.

I tried clicking on any and Windows alert pops up "Windows cannot open this file.".

Also, I don't get what Hodgman did....All he/she did was quote what I said....What's up with that? I don't understand...

Also, I don't get what Hodgman did....All he/she did was quote what I said....What's up with that? I don't understand...
I was quoting the fact that you specifically state, that you're specifically asking for links to code. Then when you're given links, you insult people and turn around and ask for a mentor instead.

And BTW, that quake2 zip contains a MSVC project (with c source and header files) that you can import into code::blocks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement