what C++ IDE & OS do you use

Started by
61 comments, last by d000hg 12 years, 11 months ago
I use gedit, g++ and scons
Advertisement
Whoa, more arch linux users here then?!
Another vim user here :)

As for the poll, I don't like the fact Linux is rightly associated with Ubuntu.
Any ditribution other than Ubuntu is a "Linux derivative"?
I use Linux (particularly Fedora 14), Emacs (for C/C++, Python, and Scheme development), and SCons.

As for the poll, I don't like the fact Linux is rightly associated with Ubuntu.

i will change Linux / Ubunto to Ubunto (i associated Ubunto with Linux otherwise i would put Ubunto / Linux ) :)

Whoa, more arch linux users here then?!

and i am confused over this

Any ditribution other than Ubuntu is a "Linux derivative"?

i put Linux derivative there so that any unkown or such OS that is based on the Linux Kernel(did you know Mac is based on a Linux Kernel ?).

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

freedos still active (releasing updates),so i guess someone is still using it.. what the reason, i have no idea.

however, when i'm retired - i'm seriously downloading a dos emulator and code demos (as in demo scenes) on it. just for fun. i guess it make up for missing opportunities, and old nostalgia sakes.

... did you know Mac is based on a Linux Kernel?[/quote]
It certainly is not.

Mac OS X has some roots in the BSD kernel, but also the "Mach" kernel.

... did you know Mac is based on a Linux Kernel?

It certainly is not.

[/quote]

ok, what i read about it said or indicated that Mac was based on a Linux kernel (or another such kernel based on Linux)

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

[quote name='rip-off' timestamp='1303123851' post='4799833']

... did you know Mac is based on a Linux Kernel?

It certainly is not.

[/quote]

ok, what i read about it said or indicated that Mac was based on a Linux kernel (or another such kernel based on Linux)
[/quote]

You read wrong.

Mac OS is built on the mach kernel (a microkernel developed by academics at CMU in Pittsburgh, USA), uses the BSD userspace runtime, and has a number of proprietary comonents such as the Quartz display driver. Not a single drop of Linux or GNU. You may have been confused, because GNU and BSD are both POSIX-based userspace runtimes, colloquially but completely incorrectly known as Unix.

You could not be faulted for saying 'Mac OS is based on Unix' but technically that is also no more correct than saying Linux is based on Unix.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

I use one of VC++ and QtCreator on Windows depending on what I'm doing. I usually use vim when I'm developing on the Linux machines on campus, however.

On Windows on my desktop: QtCreator for most work, VC++ for debugging and profiling.

I also use Arch Linux with a mixture of geany, gedit and vim on my laptop, and my server is currently running Ubuntu. I don't do any C++ programming on the server, but I do use it for Python (through web2py).

I have used a variety of IDEs over the years, particularly the ancient DOS ones, Turbo C and PASCAL, but I only voted the current ones I'm using, which are VS2010, Xcode, and to a lesser extent QtCreator.

That said, I want to find an alternative to Xcode. I really wanted to like Xcode, but I just could not get into it. Quite frankly, I dare say Xcode 3 is quite horrible, as far as user interface is concerned. I'm yet to give Xcode 4 a spin, apparently it has a tabbed interface (finally), so there is still hope.
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement