Sign in to follow this  
_damN_

iPod and iPhone development.... Where to start?

Hi... Im currently looking for a new challenge to keep myself busy with and im interested to start developing games and apps for the iPhone or iPod touch... I dont really know where to start. I know you need a macbook and there are some windows workarounds, but what API, programming language and what compiler does one need to download? Which are the best ones. Another thing... Which API is used to programme 3D games? Keep in mind i wanto do it from scratch to learn... I dont wanto use any engines etc...

Thanks alot!

The iOS APIs are largely Objective-C. There are a few C-based APIs kicking around. However, you can use C or C++ or Objective-C or any horrifying combination of the three you might imagine.

You start by getting a developer account at developer.apple.com (personal costs $100/year which will allow you to test on a device and release apps). Download the latest version of Xcode and the latest iOS SDK. The new devices [3G(s)-generation and newer] allow you to use OpenGLES 2.0 for graphics; the older devices are limited to OpenGLES 1.1. Xcode comes with a couple compilers: GCC and Clang/LLVM. Apple is moving away from GCC and onto Clang/LLVM.

For Audio you can use Apple's Audio Units or AudioQueues, or OpenAL. The rest is up to you. It's relatively straightforward to cross-compile libraries you might find handy in your development process (just a matter usually of setting up the right compiler and architecture in the configure script).

Handling user interaction, you're pretty much stuck with Objective-C as far as I know. Of course you can just handle that in a controller and defer any processing to your C or C++ model if that's what you want to do.

depends on perference , but you basically need to read up on objective-c unless you go the route of using unity or udk . both you will still need a apple developer account in order to deploy builts to test on the actual device, and you will need a mac to upload your apps

i see... So you can programme in plain old c++ as well...

Where can a person find some good websites with tutorials so i can get the basics down? Ive found one or 2 websites but alot of them still dont help me with setting up the compiler and creating a small hello world programme,

[quote name='Scoob Droolins' timestamp='1302918507' post='4798996']
Someone on another thread pointed out the [url="http://www.airplaysdk.com/"]Airplay SDK[/url] which supports the PC as a development platform.
[/quote]

I have used Airplay for iPhone dev. Awesome piece of kit, was really impressed with it. Integrates into your existing MS tool chain on Windows painlessly. You'll still need the dev licence, though.