Beginner

Started by
7 comments, last by MrBates 22 years, 7 months ago
I am new to programming as in I have absolutely no experience whatever. But, I would like to learn to develop games. Just as a hobby. I know that if I ever get into it seriously I will have to spend some money. But, I would like to use some online tutorials, compilers, etc., just what ever I will need to make games to try it out to see if I like it enough to spend the money on it. So I was wondering if anyone could reccomend anything that would help me. Thanx in advance for the help. We all go a little mad sometimes Edited by - MrBates on September 8, 2001 9:57:29 PM
We all go a little mad sometimes
Advertisement
hi.alright first of all masterbates (lol)just go to www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/or if your up to reading ''sams teach yourself c++ in 24 hours''is a good choce.and it comes with a complier(i think its dgvpp or something like that) and where i live the whole thing cost 20 bucks!
laterz-mad_hatter
I would get a free compiler like Dev-C++ (Bloodshed.net) and then either learn C/C++ online from some place like http://www.icce.rug.nl/docs/cplusplus/cplusplus.html or buy a book like "Sam''s Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days" or "C++ For Dummies".

Another language that has free compilers out there is QB. It''s not as powerful as C++, but I''ve seen some fun games written with it.

Invader X
Invader''s Realm
The name is Mister Bates, as in Norman Bates from the movie Psycho. But, anyways thanx for the advice. I have just one more question, How long would it take to become a semi-decent game developer?

How long does it take?

I haven''t been programming for long (a mere 3 1/2 years or so) but have enjoyed some of the simple games I''ve made. How long it takes depends on how much you like programming and how much time you put into it (which is true for becoming semi-decent at anything else too).

Invader X
Invader''s Realm
I would say to download Bloodshed Dev C++, and then see Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days, the online book.
Nice to meet you ~!~ I love to playing PC and PS game very much and I wish develop a game like starcraft and Final Fantasy. But I don't know where to get the guideline until I found this website.I hope everyone can help me through this online tutorial. About me, I have been learn C, JavaSript and HTML. Is that enough? I have read some message from this forum that say begins with C++ is the better way. So I start to learn C++ and for my additional knowledge I learn Visual Basic too(Im affraid that is not enough). But I still blur about it.

The question is:-
1. What I have learn until now is just to program a application like display some information to the screen and get input from user and do calculation. Then how can I create a picture like starcraft and Final Fantasy? Is it create from other software(photoshop or 3D Studio) and then put into the program? If yes, how to put it?
2. Can I using back what I have learn to program a 3D game or a simple game.
3. At this level, can I develop a game?
4. Im now learning C++ but not all of the chapter. I just picking up some chapter like Classes And Data Abstraction and Classes: Part II from a book(C How To Program). I do it in this way is because I have learn C before(teacher not teach all the chapter), so I think it might not a problem. Am I doing the right way? Did a game needs this(Class)?
5. I would like to join a game deveopment team because it might help me up faster than usual. But I just have a little bit programming background. I don't know whether they accept me or not. Should I join in?

I hope everyone can answer and reply to me? Thank you very much ~!

From HuaHsin.

KOK@HOE

Edited by - HuaHsin on September 10, 2001 6:52:54 AM

Edited by - HuaHsin on September 10, 2001 7:09:29 AM
KOK@HOE
If you learn C you should be able to make an easy transition to C++ (if you need to make one at all, most tutorials I see talk about both). Visual Basic is a much simpler language than C\C++ and it is my opinion that if you know more than one language it is better for your understanding of programming in general. C\C++ is the main language used in commercial games though.

1. To do pictures depends on what system you want to use. You can load BMP''s with the standard Windows GDI or you could use Direct X or OpenGL for graphics.

2. You can always find some way to impliment the things you learn =)

3. I think you have the knowledge to develope a text-based game (hey, those are good practice and are fun too!)

4. Yes, most games need classes so that they are easier to write. I suppose you could make one without classes, but I wouldn''t want to be the one maintaining it! =P
Ill put it to you this way. I have been learning DOS C++ for 2.5 years. I have beeen learning an graphics API for 2 months. I can''t make a game, but I can make a space ship move around the screen, I can make a charecter walk around, and I can make a 3D hiehgtfield. I can move a few objects around the screen, and I am currently working on my first small Invaders like game. So, its not very hard at all, considering I am very bad at math, also.

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement