Sign in to follow this  
ksmpal

Looking for a good free 3D animation/graphics library

ksmpal    136
Hello, all GameDev.net people!
A quick introduction of myself: I'm a university graduate with major in Electrical Engineering but took a shift in interest towards graphics programming in my later uni years. I have registered with GameDev.net 2 years ago and posted some questions but largely been absent since until recently. I have been working as a software engineer for almost 2 years now, constantly trying to improve my programming skills and hopefully working towards to become a skilled game programmer.

I'm currently in a project that requires me to source for a good, open source, free license 3D animation/graphics library. The main requirement is it has to work with Qt applications, which by extension means it has to be cross-platform.

I have googled a few of the popular ones and also tried out a few libraries, namely Havok Animation and Cal3D in Windows application using glut. I have also come across NVSG (Nivdia Scene Graph) and Ogre but have not used them yet. I also know the libraries I have mentioned are functionally different. Havok and Cal3D do not perform rendering at all but rather calculate animation results and passed the transformations to external renderer. I know NVSG and Ogre performs rendering but does it perform animation calculations?

The functions I would like from the desired library could be summarized as:

Load scene+animation file --> Generate scene data --> Perform animation calculation of scene for current frame --> perform skinning --> render animation at current frame --> loop to step 3 for next frame.

Currently, the project is using a simple frame-based approach to describe a scene using XML and only accepts still 3D models like .obj and .stl per frame. It is very limited so I figure it would be a huge improvement if I can use a high-level approach to this. I would like to seek some advice or recommendations from this forum before I decide on one of these libraries.

Hodgman    51339
I'm a fan of the lightweight [url="http://www.horde3d.org/"]Horde3D[/url] renderer - it supports a simple scene, graph, model loading and (blended) skinned animation.

They haven't released any updates on the main site for a while, but active development continues in their SVN repository.

TSlappy    121
I suggest using OGRE3D http://www.ogre3d.org/
It is free- open source, Object Oriented 3D rendering engine with a lot of community around it.
It is written in C++ but there are wrappers for C# (Mogre), Java and Python available.
It is cross-platformed (even iPhone, X360, Android ports exists) and I saw some Qt apps too.

It can import a lot of other graphic (3D) formats, there are many tutorials, samples and other stuff.
I used it at my Uni for diploma thesis and I had a great time with it! (I got three A :)

ksmpal    136
@TSlappy: Nice to hear you have a fun time using OGRE3D :). I have also came across another graphics engine called irrlicht which also works with Qt from the information I googled. Anyone here has any experience/knowledge in using it?

Now it's a three way tie between Horde3D, OGRE3D and irrlicht for me. I will try out one by one to see if they can be integrate smoothly together with Qt or not before finally choosing one for my project.