Sign in to follow this  
jaoassy

DirectX, OpenGL, Allegro ?!?

jaoassy    100
Guys,

I'm new to GAME Development but i already have a good knowledge in programming, most of these are dedicated into web development but i had a good time spent learning C++ and JAVA.

Now i am interested in games not just the Logical Dev ( game idea ) but the game proprieties like images, sprites , 2d, 3d and stuff that i'm not used to.

Thinking about that i found a problem 3 different things that do the same work (correct me if it is a misleading thought ), OpenGL, DirectX, and Allegro??

I would like to ask you, what is your opinion about them? considering difficulty, time to learn, if it is Useful and worths the time spent :D

Respectfully, João [img]http://public.gamedev.net/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif[/img]

ryan20fun    2635
well, DirectX is based on COM (in the book i read it stated that once you learn how to use 1 component it will be easy to use another componant(and i think i read a similar thing about OpenGL),
i think it might be easyer to learn DirectX as it is used in like 99% of games(the only game i know that use's OpenGL is Serius Sam no offence).

SimonForsman    7642
[quote name='ryan20fun' timestamp='1302767677' post='4798303']
well, DirectX is based on COM (in the book i read it stated that once you learn how to use 1 component it will be easy to use another componant(and i think i read a similar thing about OpenGL),
i think it might be easyer to learn DirectX as it is used in like 99% of games(the only game i know that use's OpenGL is Serius Sam no offence).
[/quote]

All the id Tech games use OpenGL aswell (so quake-quake4 and Doom3 along with games using those engines), Many of Blizzard Entertainments games use both APIs, and pretty much all games for Mac use OpenGL.