Stealing Characters from another Game

Started by
3 comments, last by Martin Eriksen 13 years ago
What are the legal aspect of using characters in a game that are clearly charicatures of characters in another game? I am currently creating a game and got the idea to make some heavy Angry Birds references. The gameplay is completely different. Imagine someone made a game with charicatures like for example in this YouTube video:

- Clearly inspired by Angry birds
- Clearly that it is NOT the original drawings from Angry birds

Using characters like that in a game: Would it be legal? How does copyright law apply?

Thanks for your input.

/Martin
Advertisement
Lol well, they did give somewhat credit to the makers of Angry Birds, plus this isnt a game and they made no profit off it at all.

I think they'll only really get on you about stealing something (like characters or a story) if your the one making profit and you do not give the original makers credit.

Cheesesage - "Beeeeeef!!"
SageKri - "But your a Vegetarian"

MiPHISTO - "I hate the way you snipe!!, Its like Halo 2 All over again!" <-- hehe... rocks are fun

"Any sort of Experience is still considered Experience in one category or another, I play games and hop MMO's because I'm that Picky about them, I have 3 Open/Closed Beta's under my belt, should be more like 10 but the others looked like MapleStory or Fiesta Spin offs -shutters-"

Currently Playing:
Star Trek Online (In Guardians of Neraxia www.neraxia.org = <3 Join us)
Battlefield Play4Free
Halo Reach
Phantasy Star Portable 2
(Waiting for Phantasy Star Online 2)

There is a FAQ for that.
Martin, read the FAQ, please.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Awesome guys; thanks for the link. For anyone else reading this topic: Bad idea to borrow characters form other games:

[font=Georgia][size=2]letq.gif 1. What if the only thing I want to "borrow" is a character?
leta.gif Characters are probably the most unique, most recognizable aspect of a game or any other IP. You definitely do not want to use Mickey Mouse, Ms. Pac-Man, Jack Bauer, Pikachu, Harry Potter, Mario, Lisa Simpson, Columbo, Kenny, James Bond, Spongebob, or Max Payne in your game. A resounding NO to this idea. Create your own characters instead.[/font]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement