Sign in to follow this  
yoavi2

OpenGL creating exe file for opengl game

yoavi2    100
hi
i made a little game using opengl in c++ with visual basic 2008.
i want to create an exe file (maybe an installation) that somehow includes all the files needed to run opengl programs (dll's etc), so that people without the files on their computer could run the game without problems.
please help, thanks!

yoavi2    100
i really have no clue in this, im sorry... all i have is a code in C++, which i had written in visual basic 2008, the code is accessing a simple txt file (for highscores).
i can get the exe file from the project's folder, but it won't work on computers who do no have the necessary files (you can find them here: http://www.xmission.com/~nate/glut.html).
my objective i to somehow make an installation package or a regular exe file so it would work on every computer... could you please help me?

yoavi2    100
i did not ask for anyone to do it for me, dont be so negative.
i only seek help as i did not understand NSIS and i couldn't find some good basic instructions as to how to do such a task

BitMaster    8651
The link Simon posted directly links to what appears to be rather extensive documentation for NSIS. So extensive that I do not believe you could have seriously tried to read it in the 14 minutes between the link and your reply. If you are unwilling to learn about an installer creator, may I suggest using self-extracting zips or something similar?

V-man    813
All you have to give is your exe and GLUT.dll, if you are using GLUT.

Also, I recommend reading this short link
http://www.opengl.org/wiki/FAQ#How_Does_It_Work_On_Windows.3F

yoavi2    100
hey, please, i do not want this to be unpleasant.. i downloaded nsis and briefly looked at the instructions, realizing i have no clue what they're saying...
i am just a student, i don't have knowledge in many languages... i hope you see that i am not lazy or something like that, please try to understand..
as for your comment, any solution is acceptable - as long it answers my need (making the game work on every computer)..
if it is not possible with zips and only an installer, could you please at least direct me to the section where they explain how to do such a thing on Simon's line? i really have no clue what to do, sorry...

Yann L    1802
Come on guys, what has become of the newbee friendliness of GDNet ? The new site is already enough of a pain, we don't really need to go Slashdot in our replies on top of that.

The OP is obviously a beginner. NSIS might be a powerful tool (although I'm not a big fan), but directing a beginner to an application whose doc starts with [i]"To create a NSIS installer, you first have to write a NSIS script" [/i]is asking for trouble. Requiring him to learn how to write the equivalent of an installer makefile just to get such a simple task done is a bit overkill.

yoavi2, try [url="http://www.advancedinstaller.com/"]Advanced Installer[/url]. It's a very powerful tool, similar to NSIS, but with an extremely simple to use and straightforward interface. You can build your first MSI with only a few mouse clicks in their wizard. If this is still too complex, a simple self extracting ZIP will most probably do it, as BitMaster suggested.

yoavi2    100
Yann, thanks for understanding and sorry for being a pain in the ass..
i downloaded the software and read of it a little, i still could not understand.. (seems like it is more for building an "official" installer)
i have an working exe of the game (from the project's folder) , yet to run properly it needs the glut files i mentioned above.
even with a self extracting zip (which i also dont know how to build but i assume it is not that hard), how can i direct the certain files to their proper folders in the windows libraries? (or is there another way?)
i mean, each computer has different folder names, and im guessing gaining access to the windows folder from an external file will cause problems as well.
sorry again if i seem stupid hehe, but i would really like to make this work.. thanks in advance!

V-man    813
Your glut32.dll should go into the same folder as your EXE. It is recommended not to put DLL into the WIndows\System32 folder.

yoavi2    100
i tried going by these instructions:
http://www.ferdychristant.com/blog//articles/DOMM-6XPRW9
i put the regular (debug) exe and the release exe in the same folder with glut32.dll and opengl32.dll. tried it on another computer - wont work.
after that i trued compiling again with the settings presented there:
"In the project properties Window, section C/C++ ->Code generation, set the "Runtime library" value to "Multi-threaded (/MT)" for the release configuration (upper left dropdown), and "Multi-threaded Debug (/MTd)" for the debug configuration."
and all of a sudden it wouldnt compile. the error:
1>cl : Command line error D8016 : '/MT' and '/clr' command-line options are incompatible

any thoughts?

Yann L    1802
First, you should not distribute the debug executable. That's against Microsofts EULA.
Second, don't distribute opengl32.dll. That's a system DLL that comes with Windows.
Third, the problems you had are with the runtime libraries. You can solve that by static linking (as you tried), or by distributing the runtime with your game (several possibilities here). Your static linking doesn't work because you're compiling as managed code. Try removing the clr option.

NicoG    172
If he uses .dlls like GLUT, he should not link statically. Not at all.
Instead, deliver the Microsoft Runtime Installer and link dynamically.
You said you have C++ Code in Visual Basic? That is not possible at all.
Assuming you use Visual C++ with SP1 2008 you need to give this installer with your program:
http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2