• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Visual C++ or sumthin else???

This topic is 6013 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

well, I just picked up a Game Programming Starter Kit that came with a couple of 3d animaters and a copy of Visual C++. In computer class, we used Borland C++ and i have no clue how to work in Visual! Is Visual better, or is it just prefrence? What do you guys use?

Advertisement
I think it has a better IDE, but borland is more standards-compliant (just a little). It''s really totally a matter of preference. I like VC++ better, but I know many many people who prefer Borland.

Regardless of how you feel about Microsoft, at some point you are probably going to have to learn Visual C++ if you are thinking about software development as a career. It is used in an overwhelming majority of professional Windows development.

That aside, go ahead and use whatever you feel most comfortable with Visual C++ is pretty easy to learn. There is no law that says you have to know every single feature of your IDE to use it to write code anyway. If you can figure out how to link in libraries and compile, you probably have enough knowledge to get some use out of it.

I personally really like the Intellisense features (when they are working). I also like the provided wizards that speed up adding classes and member functions. I don''t know if Borland has these, but they are extremely useful timesavers. In fact, the only feature that VC++ doesn''t have that I would really like is the automatic bracket/parenthesis matching that is done by some IDEs (notably CodeWarrior).

I find that VC++ is the nicest IDE around. I''ve used Dev-C++, KDevelop, and CodeWarrior, but VC++ just floats my boat.

As for the compiler itself, it''s "good enough" for most things. No, it''s not the World''s Most Standards Compliant compiler, but it produces reasonably fast code, and has excellent D3D/OpenGL support.

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee

I find the debugger in MSVC++ ten times better, and me, being

ORTHODOX-AntiMicroSoft(A new religion I started)

I still use it(I just dont use Direct X!)

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden

• Advertisement