• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

DX11 Pix Crashes, Code works fine elsewhere!

This topic is 2501 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a DX11 program that attempts to use a Hull shader and Domain Shader. It appears to work fine on its own and in the VS2010 debugger. However, while trying to debug the pixel shader, I'm having trouble getting the effect I want, so I tried to start the whole thing in PIX to see if I could do some more detailed debugging, and the whole app is crashing before I get a single frame displayed. Sometimes I'm getting a drive reset, which at least lets me get back to pix and see an error log, other times the whole computer locks.

There's nothing particular clever in the program itself, so I'm fine with posting all the code if needed, but for now I'll just list the errors I'm seeing in the log from PIX when it crashes. Has anyone seen this? Any idea how to crrect? It seems to be saying there is a mismatch in my Hull and Vertext shaders, but there's not...at least, not that I can see. Any suggestions of where to look would be much appreciated.

Frame 000001 ........PRE: <this=0x02102ff0>IDXGISwapChain::Present(0, 0)
D3D11: WARNING: ID3D11Buffer::SetPrivateData: Existing private data of same name with different size found! [ STATE_SETTING WARNING #55: SETPRIVATEDATA_CHANGINGPARAMS ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Mismatched topology. Current Hull Shader expects input Control Point count of 3, but Input Assembler topology is not set to the matching PATCHLIST topology. [ EXECUTION ERROR #2097222: DEVICE_DRAW_HULL_SHADER_INPUT_TOPOLOGY_MISMATCH ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Vertex Shader - Hull Shader linkage error: Signatures between stages are incompatible. The input stage requires Semantic/Index (POSITION,0) as input, but it is not provided by the output stage. [ EXECUTION ERROR #342: DEVICE_SHADER_LINKAGE_SEMANTICNAME_NOT_FOUND ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Vertex Shader - Hull Shader linkage error: Signatures between stages are incompatible. The input stage requires Semantic/Index (NORMAL,0) as input, but it is not provided by the output stage. [ EXECUTION ERROR #342: DEVICE_SHADER_LINKAGE_SEMANTICNAME_NOT_FOUND ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Vertex Shader - Hull Shader linkage error: Signatures between stages are incompatible. Semantic 'TEXCOORD' is defined for mismatched hardware registers between the output stage and input stage. [ EXECUTION ERROR #343: DEVICE_SHADER_LINKAGE_REGISTERINDEX ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Domain Shader - Geometry Shader linkage error: Signatures between stages are incompatible. The input stage requires Semantic/Index (World,0) as input, but it is not provided by the output stage. [ EXECUTION ERROR #342: DEVICE_SHADER_LINKAGE_SEMANTICNAME_NOT_FOUND ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Domain Shader - Geometry Shader linkage error: Signatures between stages are incompatible. The input stage requires Semantic/Index (World,1) as input, but it is not provided by the output stage. [ EXECUTION ERROR #342: DEVICE_SHADER_LINKAGE_SEMANTICNAME_NOT_FOUND ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Domain Shader - Geometry Shader linkage error: Signatures between stages are incompatible. The input stage requires Semantic/Index (World,2) as input, but it is not provided by the output stage. [ EXECUTION ERROR #342: DEVICE_SHADER_LINKAGE_SEMANTICNAME_NOT_FOUND ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Domain Shader - Geometry Shader linkage error: Signatures between stages are incompatible. The input stage requires Semantic/Index (World,3) as input, but it is not provided by the output stage. [ EXECUTION ERROR #342: DEVICE_SHADER_LINKAGE_SEMANTICNAME_NOT_FOUND ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Domain Shader - Geometry Shader linkage error: Signatures between stages are incompatible. Semantic 'Texcoord' is defined for mismatched hardware registers between the output stage and input stage. [ EXECUTION ERROR #343: DEVICE_SHADER_LINKAGE_REGISTERINDEX ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Domain Shader - Geometry Shader linkage error: Signatures between stages are incompatible. Semantic 'Color' is defined for mismatched hardware registers between the output stage and input stage. [ EXECUTION ERROR #343: DEVICE_SHADER_LINKAGE_REGISTERINDEX ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Domain Shader - Geometry Shader linkage error: Signatures between stages are incompatible. Semantic 'Color' of the input stage has a hardware register component mask that is not a subset of the output of the previous stage. [ EXECUTION ERROR #345: DEVICE_SHADER_LINKAGE_REGISTERMASK ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Domain Shader - Geometry Shader linkage error: Signatures between stages are incompatible. The input stage requires Semantic/Index (UVSize,0) as input, but it is not provided by the output stage. [ EXECUTION ERROR #342: DEVICE_SHADER_LINKAGE_SEMANTICNAME_NOT_FOUND ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: The declared input primitive type in the current Geometry Shader does not match the current Tessellator output topology (defined by the Hull Shader). [ EXECUTION ERROR #360: DEVICE_DRAW_GS_INPUT_PRIMITIVE_MISMATCH ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Mismatched topology. Current Hull Shader expects input Control Point count of 3, but Input Assembler topology is not set to the matching PATCHLIST topology. [ EXECUTION ERROR #2097222: DEVICE_DRAW_HULL_SHADER_INPUT_TOPOLOGY_MISMATCH ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Vertex Shader - Hull Shader linkage error: Signatures between stages are incompatible. The input stage requires Semantic/Index (POSITION,0) as input, but it is not provided by the output stage. [ EXECUTION ERROR #342: DEVICE_SHADER_LINKAGE_SEMANTICNAME_NOT_FOUND ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Vertex Shader - Hull Shader linkage error: Signatures between stages are incompatible. The input stage requires Semantic/Index (NORMAL,0) as input, but it is not provided by the output stage. [ EXECUTION ERROR #342: DEVICE_SHADER_LINKAGE_SEMANTICNAME_NOT_FOUND ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Vertex Shader - Hull Shader linkage error: Signatures between stages are incompatible. Semantic 'TEXCOORD' is defined for mismatched hardware registers between the output stage and input stage. [ EXECUTION ERROR #343: DEVICE_SHADER_LINKAGE_REGISTERINDEX ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Domain Shader - Geometry Shader linkage error: Signatures between stages are incompatible. The input stage requires Semantic/Index (World,0) as input, but it is not provided by the output stage. [ EXECUTION ERROR #342: DEVICE_SHADER_LINKAGE_SEMANTICNAME_NOT_FOUND ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Domain Shader - Geometry Shader linkage error: Signatures between stages are incompatible. The input stage requires Semantic/Index (World,1) as input, but it is not provided by the output stage. [ EXECUTION ERROR #342: DEVICE_SHADER_LINKAGE_SEMANTICNAME_NOT_FOUND ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Domain Shader - Geometry Shader linkage error: Signatures between stages are incompatible. The input stage requires Semantic/Index (World,2) as input, but it is not provided by the output stage. [ EXECUTION ERROR #342: DEVICE_SHADER_LINKAGE_SEMANTICNAME_NOT_FOUND ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Domain Shader - Geometry Shader linkage error: Signatures between stages are incompatible. The input stage requires Semantic/Index (World,3) as input, but it is not provided by the output stage. [ EXECUTION ERROR #342: DEVICE_SHADER_LINKAGE_SEMANTICNAME_NOT_FOUND ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Domain Shader - Geometry Shader linkage error: Signatures between stages are incompatible. Semantic 'Texcoord' is defined for mismatched hardware registers between the output stage and input stage. [ EXECUTION ERROR #343: DEVICE_SHADER_LINKAGE_REGISTERINDEX ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Domain Shader - Geometry Shader linkage error: Signatures between stages are incompatible. Semantic 'Color' is defined for mismatched hardware registers between the output stage and input stage. [ EXECUTION ERROR #343: DEVICE_SHADER_LINKAGE_REGISTERINDEX ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Domain Shader - Geometry Shader linkage error: Signatures between stages are incompatible. Semantic 'Color' of the input stage has a hardware register component mask that is not a subset of the output of the previous stage. [ EXECUTION ERROR #345: DEVICE_SHADER_LINKAGE_REGISTERMASK ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: Domain Shader - Geometry Shader linkage error: Signatures between stages are incompatible. The input stage requires Semantic/Index (UVSize,0) as input, but it is not provided by the output stage. [ EXECUTION ERROR #342: DEVICE_SHADER_LINKAGE_SEMANTICNAME_NOT_FOUND ]
D3D11: ERROR: ID3D11DeviceContext::Draw: The declared input primitive type in the current Geometry Shader does not match the current Tessellator output topology (defined by the Hull Shader). [ EXECUTION ERROR #360: DEVICE_DRAW_GS_INPUT_PRIMITIVE_MISMATCH ]
Frame 000001 ........POST: <S_OK><this=0x02102ff0> IDXGISwapChain::Present(0, 0)
Frame 000001 ....POST: <> Frame(1)

As I said, I'm willing to post all code and such, but don't want to force anyone to read through it all until needed. Thanks in advance for any help.

NOTE: I found several posts regarding that same "mismatched topology" error referencing the effects framework, but I only have one set of shaders at present for debugging and don't think that really applies to my issue.

Advertisement
Yeah PIX crashing is likely their fault not yours, its an unstable piece of crap, great when it works, but otherwise somewhat unreliable.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By Stewie.G
      Hi,
      I've been trying to implement a gaussian blur recently, it would seem the best way to achieve this is by running a bur on one axis, then another blur on the other axis.
      I think I have successfully implemented the blur part per axis, but now I have to blend both calls with a proper BlendState, at least I think this is where my problem is.
      Here are my passes:
      RasterizerState DisableCulling { CullMode = BACK; }; BlendState AdditiveBlend { BlendEnable[0] = TRUE; BlendEnable[1] = TRUE; SrcBlend[0] = SRC_COLOR; BlendOp[0] = ADD; BlendOp[1] = ADD; SrcBlend[1] = SRC_COLOR; }; technique11 BlockTech { pass P0 { SetVertexShader(CompileShader(vs_5_0, VS())); SetGeometryShader(NULL); SetPixelShader(CompileShader(ps_5_0, PS_BlurV())); SetRasterizerState(DisableCulling); SetBlendState(AdditiveBlend, float4(0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0), 0xffffffff); } pass P1 { SetVertexShader(CompileShader(vs_5_0, VS())); SetGeometryShader(NULL); SetPixelShader(CompileShader(ps_5_0, PS_BlurH())); SetRasterizerState(DisableCulling); } }  
      D3DX11_TECHNIQUE_DESC techDesc; mBlockEffect->mTech->GetDesc( &techDesc ); for(UINT p = 0; p < techDesc.Passes; ++p) { deviceContext->IASetVertexBuffers(0, 2, bufferPointers, stride, offset); deviceContext->IASetIndexBuffer(mIB, DXGI_FORMAT_R32_UINT, 0); mBlockEffect->mTech->GetPassByIndex(p)->Apply(0, deviceContext); deviceContext->DrawIndexedInstanced(36, mNumberOfActiveCubes, 0, 0, 0); } No blur

PS_BlurV

PS_BlurH

P0 + P1

As you can see, it does not work at all.
      I think the issue is in my BlendState, but I am not sure.
      I've seen many articles going with the render to texture approach, but I've also seen articles where both shaders were called in succession, and it worked just fine, I'd like to go with that second approach. Unfortunately, the code was in OpenGL where the syntax for running multiple passes is quite different (http://rastergrid.com/blog/2010/09/efficient-gaussian-blur-with-linear-sampling/). So I need some help doing the same in HLSL :-)

Thanks!
    • By Fleshbits
      Back around 2006 I spent a good year or two reading books, articles on this site, and gobbling up everything game dev related I could. I started an engine in DX10 and got through basics. I eventually gave up, because I couldn't do the harder things.
      Now, my C++ is 12 years stronger, my mind is trained better, and I am thinking of giving it another go.
      Alot has changed. There is no more SDK, there is evidently a DX Toolkit, XNA died, all the sweet sites I used to go to are 404, and google searches all point to Unity and Unreal.
      I plainly don't like Unity or Unreal, but might learn them for reference.
      So, what is the current path? Does everyone pretty much use the DX Toolkit? Should I start there? I also read that DX12 is just expert level DX11, so I guess I am going DX 11.
      Is there a current and up to date list of learning resources anywhere?  I am about tired of 404s..

• By Stewie.G
      Hi,

I've been trying to implement a basic gaussian blur using the gaussian formula, and here is what it looks like so far:
      float gaussian(float x, float sigma)
      {
          float pi = 3.14159;
          float sigma_square = sigma * sigma;
          float a = 1 / sqrt(2 * pi*sigma_square);
          float b = exp(-((x*x) / (2 * sigma_square)));
          return a * b;
      }
      My problem is that I don't quite know what sigma should be.
      It seems that if I provide a random value for sigma, weights in my kernel won't add up to 1.
      So I ended up calling my gaussian function with sigma == 1, which gives me weights adding up to 1, but also a very subtle blur.
      Here is what my kernel looks like with sigma == 1
              [0]    0.0033238872995488885    
              [1]    0.023804742479357766    
              [2]    0.09713820127276819    
              [3]    0.22585307043511713    
              [4]    0.29920669915475656    
              [5]    0.22585307043511713    
              [6]    0.09713820127276819    
              [7]    0.023804742479357766    
              [8]    0.0033238872995488885    

I would have liked it to be more "rounded" at the top, or a better spread instead of wasting [0], [1], [2] with values bellow 0.1.
      Based on my experiments, the key to this is to provide a different sigma, but if I do, my kernel values no longer adds up to 1, which results to a darker blur.
      I've found this post 
      ... which helped me a bit, but I am really confused with this the part where he divide sigma by 3.
      Can someone please explain how sigma works? How is it related to my kernel size, how can I balance my weights with different sigmas, ect...

• By mc_wiggly_fingers
      Is it possible to asynchronously create a Texture2D using DirectX11?
      I have a native Unity plugin that downloads 8K textures from a server and displays them to the user for a VR application. This works well, but there's a large frame drop when calling CreateTexture2D. To remedy this, I've tried creating a separate thread that creates the texture, but the frame drop is still present.
      Is there anything else that I could do to prevent that frame drop from occuring?
    • By cambalinho
      i'm trying draw a circule using math:
      class coordenates { public: coordenates(float x=0, float y=0) { X = x; Y = y; } float X; float Y; }; coordenates RotationPoints(coordenates ActualPosition, double angle) { coordenates NewPosition; NewPosition.X = ActualPosition.X*sin(angle) - ActualPosition.Y*sin(angle); NewPosition.Y = ActualPosition.Y*cos(angle) + ActualPosition.X*cos(angle); return NewPosition; } but now i know that these have 1 problem, because i don't use the orign.
      even so i'm getting problems on how i can rotate the point.
      these coordinates works between -1 and 1 floating points.
      can anyone advice more for i create the circule?
  • Advertisement