Sign in to follow this  
marltoro

File iostream question

I am creating a program that will load data from a .dat file to multiple vectors inside the program.

But my question is, when I'm reading from a file, what would be the easiest way for me to skip lines or go to the previous line? I tried looking on Google but I couldn't get anything from there to work.

[quote name='Marltoro' timestamp='1302895446' post='4798886']
I am creating a program that will load data from a .dat file to multiple vectors inside the program.

But my question is, when I'm reading from a file, what would be the easiest way for me to skip lines or go to the previous line? I tried looking on Google but I couldn't get anything from there to work.
[/quote]

Have you considered using ofstream and ifstream?
I used to use iostream, but I have found reinterpret_cast<char *> of my data struct makes for really slick saving and loading of game data, I could post some code on how I do it if your interested.

[quote]
Have you considered using ofstream and ifstream?
I used to use iostream, but I have found reinterpret_cast<char *> of my data struct makes for really slick saving and loading of game data, I could post some code on how I do it if your interested.
[/quote]

That would be great

Files with a ".dat" extension usually contain non-text data, and thus the concept of skipping lines makes no sense.

Typically such files will have some metadata information in header, which will allows you to quickly determine the range of bytes you are interested in. Your file access API will provide a seek() function (or similar), which you can use to skip the intervening data.