Sign in to follow this  
SteveDeFacto

Can DirectX and OpenGL render to the same window?

SteveDeFacto    109
I know this may sound wacky and useless but if I could render to the same window it would make converting my project from DirectX to OpenGL a breeze because I could just replace different components with out needing to fully clear out all of the DirectX functions.

I know it would be too much work to actually get OpenGL to read or write from a directx back buffer or z-buffer but if I could write pixels to the view of the window I could start the conversion but just replacing the 2D UI and then work my way down from there. This would allow me to continue committing to my SVN repository without a long delay between revisions and a complete switch it the rendering system.

the_edd    2109
You could do your work in a branch that is marked as "private" or "experimental" (by some branch-naming convention, perhaps).

Erik Rufelt    5901
If you create a GDI compatible texture, you can lock it to get a HDC and draw to it with OpenGL and a bitmap pixel format. It's probably not the best idea though, and won't be too fast. I'm not sure if you can get alpha values with it even..