super simple cel shader

Started by
2 comments, last by Daaark 12 years, 12 months ago
I'm not very knowledgeable about shaders and/or the programmable graphics pipeline generally, but I'm looking to do something very basic. If I have a model that is almost entirely rectilinear -- like a lego block structure or something -- what's easiest way to render it cartoonishly, meaning flat color on the faces of the rectilinear model and the edges outlined in black. I know how to do this with textures but I figure this must be really easy to do with shaders. Can someone point me to a tutorial or some code somewhere?
Advertisement
This should answer your question

This should answer your question

The thing is I'm not really looking for that sort of cel shader, it's just the closest thing to what I want that I can easily name. Basically what I want is a shader that will generate a solid wireframe render of the model where the edges of the model that are between two parallel faces are not shown, just the ones between faces that are at n degree angles or greater, where n is a constant. This has got to be really easy to do, and I thought maybe there was some tutorial somewhere that shows how to generate a solid wireframe like this as a sort of basic example before building on it to do something more complicated, but I couldn't such a basic example.
Then find a cel shader, and modify it to your needs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement