Where all your US tax dollars go?

Started by
46 comments, last by Hodgman 13 years ago
Breakdown of US tax dollars.

If you ever wanted to know, well here it is. Also, if we're revamping SS, we should revamp the military too. Together they take 41% of tax revenue.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
I don't know much about SS, but we already spend more than any other country in the world when it comes to military, we have bases that need funding all over the globe, and we exercise our military power to get involved with middle East affairs, aside from just Iraq/Afghanistan. Either i don't know what you mean be "revamp" (improve? make better?) or i don't see why.

Though, for a while i've been under the impression that 30 cents of every dollar went to military and according to this, it's only 20. And the same amount goes to SS! I'm actually surprised to see education be only ninth on the list because i've always been under the impression (still am) that education needs more funding, when it's already getting a large portion of the tax. I mean, No Child Left Behind always seemed like a survival of the fittest battle for schools, but now i know that they're fighting over what little money is available (not that that makes me feel any kinder towards the act).

This gives me a bit more perspective on several political issues. Thanks for providing the link!
Education doesn't need more funding, it needs to work smarter. I know that's a cliche and usually a lame excuse, but it really does apply in this case. The US spends more per head than any other developed nation, it doesn't need more money thrown at it.

I don't know much about SS, but we already spend more than any other country in the world when it comes to military, we have bases that need funding all over the globe, and we exercise our military power to get involved with middle East affairs, aside from just Iraq/Afghanistan. Either i don't know what you mean be "revamp" (improve? make better?) or i don't see why.

Though, for a while i've been under the impression that 30 cents of every dollar went to military and according to this, it's only 20. And the same amount goes to SS! I'm actually surprised to see education be only ninth on the list because i've always been under the impression (still am) that education needs more funding, when it's already getting a large portion of the tax. I mean, No Child Left Behind always seemed like a survival of the fittest battle for schools, but now i know that they're fighting over what little money is available (not that that makes me feel any kinder towards the act).

This gives me a bit more perspective on several political issues. Thanks for providing the link!

The bulk of education spending in the US comes from state and local governments, not the federal government. In fact, the federal government provides only 9.2% of the nation's total education funding.

Though, for a while i've been under the impression that 30 cents of every dollar went to military and according to this, it's only 20. And the same amount goes to SS!

I think that's a matter of aggregation. Assuming the values linked in the source are correct (and good chance that they are), it really determines how one adds up the numbers. Here are some of the categories:
Defense (20.2%)
Veterans Affairs (3.1%)
Law and Homeland Sec (2.4%)
Managament of Fed Employees and Buildings (1.4%)
Diplomacy and Embassies (0.4%)

Defense is straight forward, but Veterans Affairs should be tallied into that as well for military. A good portion of Law/Homeland security should as well, and the other two categories have some cross-over, just looking at definitions. Also, injuries to vets probably play into the Medicare total some (correct me if I understand this one wrong).

If Medicare plays any significant part in veteran aid, I'd say 30-ish percent is probably pretty close to accurate.

Education doesn't need more funding, it needs to work smarter. I know that's a cliche and usually a lame excuse, but it really does apply in this case. The US spends more per head than any other developed nation, it doesn't need more money thrown at it.

That rings true. After all, we also spend more on health per capita than any country, and yet we are not the healthiest. But we have a lot of schools closing down, especially in (separate, but equal) poor neighborhoods. For example, Detroit just lost half of its schools in order to balance its budget. Of coarse, maybe that doesn't mean schools need to be more funded, just separate but equally funded.

I'm curious whether you have any opinions on education reform. I know of classic arguments for higher quality teachers, no more seniority, and things like that. I just wonder if that's where you're coming from.

[quote name='Strange Loop' timestamp='1303022305' post='4799393']

That rings true. After all, we also spend more on health per capita than any country, and yet we are not the healthiest. But we have a lot of schools closing down, especially in (separate, but equal) poor neighborhoods. For example, Detroit just lost half of its schools in order to balance its budget. Of coarse, maybe that doesn't mean schools need to be more funded, just separate but equally funded.

I'm curious whether you have any opinions on education reform. I know of classic arguments for higher quality teachers, no more seniority, and things like that. I just wonder if that's where you're coming from.
[/quote]

I used to be pro-education spending, but after looking into it this was a somewhat upsetting conclusion that I ended up at (the "it needs to work smarter" conclusions that is).

I'd recommend "Waiting for Superman" and "Kids aren't Cars" for people interested in the issue. Really eye opening and somewhat tragic :S

edit: just a note, both the above are documentaries. Kids aren't cars is an online documentary series that can be seen here.

Both highlight one of my least favorite parts about attempting education reform, and that's the way teachers are so willing to play the children guilt card when in reality the reasons they are playing that card are often detrimental to children's education. Moreso how ready the general public is to just accept that it must be true.
I think that education is someplace where we can always allocate more money. But there's no question that the money isn't spent very effectively right now, as evidenced by the depressing results the US education system gets. I'm all for reform, but even with the ineffectiveness, I'm not in favor of cuts before reform, and perhaps not even after.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

To many purposes, but the military budget is a big piece of the pie. Just keep in mind, the US is spending more on military purposes than all the rest of the world together! That is completly out of balance.

The amount spent per head is indeed a sign of an uneconomic system. Despite the high costs in the US, the average education, average level of health, is terrible compared to other nations. At the same time other nations give their citizens free college tuition and free health care, for a much lower total cost?... yet to point this out is unamerican...

You can't fix that by "working smarter", because in that political climate, "smart" either means "communist crap", or "more of the same corruption". There's too much inertia, and the problem is one of perspective/perception, not actual economics.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement