User Interface with OpenGL?

Started by
4 comments, last by Nanoha 13 years ago
How does one create a user interface for an OpenGL 3D rendering? I've looked around the web at different types but they all seem to have little to no documentation and are all ancient! All I need to do essentially is have a drop down menu change a skybox and some variables and some input boxes to change some variables also. Does anybody know what I could use for this? One with some documentation or at least some examples?
Advertisement
Anybody? Come on!
Well for one, it's not an OpenGL topic. All OpenGL does is take vertices to render from you and set render states. Everything else has nothing to do with OpenGL. You will have to set up your own GUI, and when you want to draw something, send OpenGL the relevant data to draw.

You could look up an existing OpenGL GUI library to save yourself some time.

Are there any GUI libraries that are still maintained? If so, which one/ones would somebody suggest for somebody starting OpenGL?
cegui is a free one that is farily solid and in active development, there should be others around as well.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
CEGUI, I use it with Ogre and at first I found it fairly complex but I'm sure it will save you alot of time eventually (rather than trying to do your own gui). Of course, if all you want is to display some info ontot he screen then its not overly difficult to do it just with opengl. By the sounds of it, you'll be better off with CEGUI.

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement