Sign in to follow this  
bigballofyarn

[web] PHP Framework

bigballofyarn    122
[size="2"]I'm looking to learn something new to keep me interested in PHP and make my development easier, faster, more advanced, and more secure... which all contribute to me being more profitable.

I'm playing with Symfony right now, but also have CakePHP and Code Ignitor on my list... anyone tried any of these?

The main thing I'm worried about is that I'll spend 2 hours configuring an environment/framework that I could've just used towards coding...

Pros and Cons would be great to hear.[/size]

touch_the_sky    179
Yes,

Symfony > Cake PHP + Code Igniter

It has all the pros you could think of, the con is possibly the learning curve and really there is no need for anyone to be proficient with Symfony (and stuff which is included with the 'learning package', like server config, orms, etc.) unless you want to be a professional (complex, scalable, often big) web applications developer.

[quote]
I'm looking to learn something new to keep me interested in PHP and make my development easier, faster, more advanced, and more secure... which all contribute to me being [heading]more profitable.[/heading]
[/quote]

If at the moment you're some sort of 'normal websites' developer and you're looking for a way to easily & quickly spit out 'normal websites', getting your head round [url="http://modx.com/revolution/"]MODX Revo[/url] should allow you to bring much more $$$ each month. It's a CMS with an easy, yet powerful framework, easy package management and about the best admin panel you could think of. Can't be compared to the likes of Symfony unfortunately, it's totally different, much smaller capabilities, etc. - different purpose than sf but great at what it does.