Sign in to follow this  
HiPPiE1337

Starting with game development

HiPPiE1337    100
Hi,

I learned the basics of programming and wanted to start making games but, i dont know where and with what language i should start. I followed the xna gpa pong tut so i know a little bit of xna but i didnt feel xna was the right language so i want something new.
Could somebody tell me where to start with what tut and with what language so i can start making simple games.
Lwjgl looked awesome but couldnt find good tuts. So if anybody has suggestions about a starting guide it would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

freeworld    341
what didn't you like about XNA?

If you already have some knowledge with C# and XNA, I would suggest sticking with it atleast for a little while. But if you're really interested in just starting over again... alot of people like JAVA.

HiPPiE1337    100
Hmm, okay but can you make really good games with xna? Are all xlive arcade games xna? And are the tuts from xnaresources and xnagpa good enough to make lets say super meat boy?
Another question if i want to go 3d with xna. Do i have to use opengl or directx? Cuz opengl is looking awesome to try:)

I will continue learning xna and after that ill try unity

freeworld    341
[quote name='HiPPiE1337' timestamp='1303061606' post='4799524']
Hmm, okay but can you make really good games with xna? Are all xlive arcade games xna? And are the tuts from xnaresources and xnagpa good enough to make lets say super meat boy?
Another question if i want to go 3d with xna. Do i have to use opengl or directx? Cuz opengl is looking awesome to try:)

I will continue learning xna and after that ill try unity
[/quote]

1: Yes you can make awesome games with xna... in reality you can make awesome games with just about any language and api.

2: I haven't looked at those sites, and I haven't used xna... hopefully someone else can answer that.

3: xna is built on top of directX (correct me if I'm wrong on that wording), so you're stuck with directX. Plus I thought xna had more than enough to do 3D.

4: OpenGL and directX are completely different in respect that they can't co mingle. If you really like OpenGL. You should look into SDL, it's kinda the equivalent of xna for ogl.

5: Unity and xna are completely different. Unity is a game engine, in the sense that there should be as little code writing as possible to make a game. You use there editors to create a game instead of writing the code. Were as xna is an api/framework were you have to write all the code for your game using the provided functions and data types.

DeLoreyK    100
XNA, is Pretty awesome if you want to get started. Not all Arcade games are XNA on the Xbox marketplace, but most if not all Indy Arcade games are written with the XNA API.

If you wan't to start with mobile development, Java is what you will need to know.

And of course, if you are ambitious you can start with C++ and Direct3D or OpenGL. It might be easier to learn OpenGL, but I personally think it is easier to implement Direct3D.

PropheticEdge    150
[quote name='MeshGearFox' timestamp='1303150651' post='4800001']
Does XNA still force you to use the pipeline for graphics and whatnot?
[/quote]

Yes, but it makes it far less painful than C++ and DirectX.

I'm not sure what Super Meat Boy was made with, but I'm pretty certain you could do something of that scale in XNA with no sweat.