Are NeHe's tutorials still any good?

Started by
2 comments, last by Kiera7n 12 years, 8 months ago
Hello, i'm new to OpenGL and i've been looking for a good place to get started, I've heard a lot of positive things about NeHe's tutorials but i have a question. Considering how old they are and all the depreciated functionality of modern OpenGL, are these tutorials still any good for someone starting GL? thanks!
Advertisement
Based on the tutorials and the OpenGL books I have everything on NeHe seems pretty standard to the books (not saying the books arn't outdated either). I'm honestly not sure if they are up to industry standard but there still really good for learning basics in OpenGL. I say this because in my experience in 2d programming and a few different Graphic API's usually the newest updates usually don't change much as far as what code you use but more of what the code does internally.

Hello, i'm new to OpenGL and i've been looking for a good place to get started, I've heard a lot of positive things about NeHe's tutorials but i have a question. Considering how old they are and all the depreciated functionality of modern OpenGL, are these tutorials still any good for someone starting GL? thanks!

I'd claim that they aren't good tutorials in this day and age. They do cover a lot of the graphics theory, but, unless you are targeting pre-shader hardware, it isn't worth it to read the code as all the functionality is depricated. Try something like this instead. I think what is often more important than a good graphics API tutorial is a good linear algebra tutorial on how graphics transforms work.
there are 2 issues with the age of the tutorials - 1) code don't work as well as it should using current software 2) it doesn't take advantage of all the newer functions that are now part of opengl.
but if you are just starting with opengl or are using software that it has been ported to without issue then you will find yourself learning the basics and a few intermediate skills to do some cool stuff.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement