Fastest way to get started in the Computer Science field with only a High School Diploma?

Started by
28 comments, last by Wan 12 years, 12 months ago
Basically I'm going crazy at my current job. When I first started working at the job I was always on time and polite to everyone but after 4 year the nature of the job is literally turning me into an animal like all of the people I work with.

I'm about to start classes for a CS degree this summer and I'm finally at a point where I feel confident in all of my skills including programming but I'm not sure I can stand my job any longer due to many factors. I know if I don't leave now I will do something that will get me fired which would be worse than just quiting because at least I could still put it on my resume.

If I could at least get into a job where they don't hire people with felonies or high school drop outs I would be happy. Though, if I could get a job in the programming field I would be willing to work for minimal wage without any benefits as long as I get enough hours to make at least 15k a year. What is the fastest way I can get an entry level job in programming?
Advertisement

Basically I'm going crazy at my current job. When I first started working at the job I was always on time and polite to everyone but after 4 year the nature of the job is literally turning me into an animal like all of the people I work with.

I'm about to start classes for a CS degree this summer and I'm finally at a point where I feel confident in all of my skills including programming but I'm not sure I can stand my job any longer due to many factors. I know if I don't leave now I will do something that will get me fired which would be worse than just quiting because at least I could still put it on my resume.

If I could at least get into a job where they don't hire people with felonies or high school drop outs I would be happy. Though, if I could get a job in the programming field I would be willing to work for minimal wage without any benefits as long as I get enough hours to make at least 15k a year. What is the fastest way I can get an entry level job in programming?

check with you're school. They usually staff their IT desks with students.
What do you do now?

What experience do you have with programming (games, web, applications)? Do you have any relevant certifications or professional experience?

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

It involves round lips and a low gag reflex.

What do you do now?

What experience do you have with programming (games, web, applications)? Do you have any relevant certifications or professional experience?

I have been programming since I was 7 and have used many different languages. The main project I am working on right now is in my signature though my site definitely could use more content.
The best way I can think of to get a job in your situation is straight up networking. I don't mean ethernet or wi-fi, but talking to people, being as personable as you can and letting them know that you're looking without making them think that the only reason you're getting to know them is because you're looking. If you're young, hang out with clean cut people and get to know their parents. Talk with your teachers and show them you're hard working. If nothing else in a university setting that can land you a job grading, but I've seen a teacher at a community college help a guy get a pretty good job in 3D modelling. Unfortunately, the current environment is not optimal, though ironically not having a degree may do you some good since people will be able to hire you for less. I don't want to tell you what to do with your hobby time, but if a good job is a primary goal, I'd switch gears from your current project to a few smaller things with a better "ooo shiny" factor.
I think because I've been willing to work for a lower wage than most people has helped get me the jobs that I've had. Look for entry level and temporary positions. Maybe focus a bit on smaller companies. Show them programming is your passion. Show them what you can do. (Results may vary by economy).

One problem is though, if you start a job with low pay then there's a good chance that it won't be increasing much. Odds are in 2 to 3 years you'll be feeling it's time to move on. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The best way I can think of to get a job in your situation is straight up networking. I don't mean ethernet or wi-fi, but talking to people, being as personable as you can and letting them know that you're looking without making them think that the only reason you're getting to know them is because you're looking. If you're young, hang out with clean cut people and get to know their parents. Talk with your teachers and show them you're hard working. If nothing else in a university setting that can land you a job grading, but I've seen a teacher at a community college help a guy get a pretty good job in 3D modelling. Unfortunately, the current environment is not optimal, though ironically not having a degree may do you some good since people will be able to hire you for less. I don't want to tell you what to do with your hobby time, but if a good job is a primary goal, I'd switch gears from your current project to a few smaller things with a better "ooo shiny" factor.

Uhh comp science is an engineering degree. He can't just talk his way into a job in the field anymore...this isn't 1990. Pretty much anything he gets will be the same as the job he is in now.

He just has to wait till the degree is finished...like everyone else.

The best way I can think of to get a job in your situation is straight up networking.

I find that networking is important in finding any job, regardless of your situation.

Uhh comp science is an engineering degree. He can't just talk his way into a job in the field anymore...this isn't 1990. Pretty much anything he gets will be the same as the job he is in now.

He just has to wait till the degree is finished...like everyone else.

This isn't necessarily true. I had paid programming work before I got my degree. Nothing full time or long term, but then again, I wasn't looking for anything either. Some of it even paid much higher than my fulltime job after I got my degree.

You don't need a degree to get your foot in the door, but it does make it significantly easier. And once you have a degree and have had a job or two, I think experience overshadows the degree, the same way as once you ave a degree, nobody will care much about your high school diploma.

So, yes, a degree will make it much easier to get your foot in the door, but it is not impossible without one either (though it is probably a lot tougher). Without a degree you pretty much need to network, though, while with a degree you can fire off resumes to companies HR departments. Doing that without a degree probably won't get you far. In either case, networking will be beneficial (almost all of my job offers have come through people I already knew, one way or another).
And once you have a degree and have had a job or two, I think experience overshadows the degree[/quote]

Man it's easier for you to say that when you already have a degree. I am currently going back for a bachelors in comp sci but I had an associates + work examples and still got turned down for jobs that required bachelors degrees. So I know you are full of crap. Convo's probably went like this:

HR: Sir you are not qualified.
Me: Maam, believe me I KNOW this field. I live it and breate it.
HR: Sorry sir, you need a bachelors for this position.
Me: blah blah - check out this work - blah blah - comparable to any bachelors candidate you will find -blah blah
HR: Sir, I need to end this call

...LOL. That's how they went.

The problem is that you will get HR people that are not tech saavy. They don't know about anything beyond turning the computer on, off, opening word, etc and so they strictly follow requirements.

But then again, for steves situation, it's probably possible to make $15k a year.

Sidenote:
Hey steve do you live in the projects? 15k a year...damn man. =D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement