Help making sounds complement music.

Started by
1 comment, last by MCScoring 12 years, 12 months ago
I am looking into my options for sound and music on a project I am currently working on. I would like to have all the sound effects complement the music if possible. The problem is that I know absolutely nothing about music. Im hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction.

I guess my question is how do you know what sounds go with other sounds? Are there any tricks or universal rules I can take advantage of? I found this. It sounds good no matter what you do. You can not make it sound horrible. How did they achieve this?

Any insight on this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks! =)
Advertisement
If the SFX are tonal based then you want to create music and SFX that share the same tonalities - like for example using notes from the same musical scale. If you don't know anything about music then it might be faster to just sub-contract out a composer who can create the music to match your SFX then can help implement tonal elements into the sounds.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

In the Example you showed, all the boxes corresponded to a note in the Major scale. That way, no matter what you hit, you stay in that scale and so nothing ever sounds "wrong." When it comes to stuff like that, it helps to have basic knowledge of music theory. Nsmadsen is right, if you don't know much about music theory, then it might be better to contact a composer (me, him...tons of people on this forum, haha) to help you with it. I don't know exactly what you plan on making, but with a little more information on it I'm sure we could help you...I'm certainly willing to help :)
If you need original music for your game or film, message me or email me!
Most circumstances can be worked out :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement